“Pixels” movie a sexist pile of crap

Just checked MovieBob’s review from the links above. Certainly a much better watch than the movie itself, and kind of cathartic really. “Scott Pilgrim for assholes” made me laugh.

Why is Adam Sandler still a thing, anyway? Literally anyone else from that era of Saturday Night Live is more deserving of our collective money and attention.

1 Like

No, you get the eye drops.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/94/Clockwork’71.jpg

7 Likes

Keep in mind that era includes Victoria Jackson, Kevin Nealon and Dennis Miller.

2 Likes

Tolerable in Weeds, doesn’t belong among the rest whose brains leaked out their ears.

1 Like

I might be wrong after all, but at least those folks have had the decency to remain obscure enough that I don’t even recognize the names or anything they’ve done. A lesson Mr. Sandler would do well to emulate.

You don’t happen to live somewhere other than the US, do you? If you managed to not have exposure to Miller post SNL, then you can consider yourself fortunate.

6 Likes

http://gawker.com/5958376/i-cant-stop-crying-america-died-donald-trump-and-victoria-jackson-melt-down-on-twitter

2 Likes

Brazil.

Cons: absurd taxes that only serve to fund rampant corruption so public services are a joke, people just assume you like soccer, an assorted and sometimes surprising mix of third world + first world problems.*

Pros: no fox news. I call it a draw.

*Was there ever a ‘second world’? Or was it just cold war speak for ‘third world with nukes?’ all along?

5 Likes

Hey Jenny and Cayce, you’ve got absolute shit taste in everything and especially movies, but I heard that movie was bad…so how was it? No, seriously, how was it?

FFS.

1 Like

But also, Mike Meyers (who has ALSO made some real crap films - but Wayne’s World and Coffee Talk make up for an awful lot of bad movies…), Dana Carvey, and the awesome Phil Hartman…

7 Likes

Granted, but I’ll see you one Rob Schneider Spade and raise you one David Spade.

FSM, do I miss Mr. Hartman.

4 Likes

But can you ever forgive him for his sad use of “sea-face”?

5 Likes

Because dummies keep going to see his movies. Why would they stop making them when they are supreme cash cows?

3 Likes

It’s why television is where the good plots are going and dumb sexist shit fills the theaters. Producers don’t want adults, they want literal and figurative children who will sit and eat a bunch of bad food while being babysat.

The Last Starfighter is another example of what happens when a Hollywood guy goes “Hey, people seem to really like video games, let’s make a movie where being really into video games makes you an action hero.” Different implementation, same inspiration. (While the Futurama episode seems to be the other way around.)

1 Like

It was Cold War speak for “the Soviets.” First World = NATO allies, Second World = Soviet allies, Third World = non-aligned.

It obviously got completely twisted up even before the Second World comprehensively ceased to exist. Third-World nations were stereotyped as poor and undeveloped because most of the non-aligned nations were only non-aligned because they had nothing to offer either side, but the category technically included wealthy independents like Switzerland. Everybody quickly forgot about those, though.

8 Likes

Beat me to it. It’s a very good takedown. I don’t know why Kill Screen doesn’t seem to be on the radar as prominently as the RPS/​Kotaku/​Eurogamer cabal. It’s got thoughtful and mature games writing, not infrequently touching on the Social Justice issues that anger GGers so. And the print edition is lovely. @beschizza, thoughts?

2 Likes

I thought it went Old World, New World, Third World.

I agree except for the “nothing to offer” part about the non-aligned world… They had plenty to offer, or else they US and the Soviets wouldn’t have been trying to woo them to their side so hard.

But otherwise, this Cold war Historian approves of your comment!

3 Likes

It was first, second, and third world… not it’s developed, developing, and undeveloped, and relates to mostly economic status within the global economy, not political alignments.

2 Likes