Pizza Hut's intense market research brings us a Hot Dog Pizza Bites! Who wants one?

i might have bought this back in university days where budget to calorie and number of meal ratios made this sort of thing appealing and broke the monotony of ramen.

1 Like

OK, it’s official. The end times are upon us. Repent your sins folks.

Yes, the true connoisseur applies tomato sauce immediately before serving.

For those confused: This is a squeezy

5 Likes

Interesting. I was picturing a foil packet.

Tomato sauce as a pizza condiment must be an Aussie thing. (Anywhere else?)

In the States, you might add grated cheese and/or red pepper flakes. There are shakers on pizzaria tables, and little packets in pick up / delivery pizzas.

My willingness to try the original-topic horror aside, canonical pizza is the Margharita. Mozzarella , tomato sauce, basil.

2 Likes

We are guilty of many crimes against cuisine in Australia, but that is not one of them!

That pizza is surrounded by tiny meat pies, and the tomato sauce goes with them.

This thread has gone completely surreal.

4 Likes

But
 But
 Doesn’t the tomato sauce go under the cheese?

You know what? I am a pizza snob. A serious snob. But I have no problem with this.

As long as pizza advertised as thin crust neopolitan is correct, and i dont accidentally get one of those, i don’t care about the crust innovations in other restaurants.

Ironically pizza hut gluten free is frickin great.

2 Likes

So. Is “four’n twenty” Australia’s version of, “4:20 bro”?

2 Likes

Jebus, that’s a bit much with my 8 week old son sitting next to me!

2 Likes

http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

2 Likes

I’ve actually converted to “white pizza” completely when I make my own because I feel like the sauce tends to make the crust soggier and for other texture/ eating experience reasons. Here’s my favorite recipe;
sauté 2 large shallots in a half a cup of olive oil and spread on pizza dough as you would tomato sauce. Top pizza with 50/50 mixture of fresh mozzarella and fontina cheeses. Top as you like, but my favorite is prosciutto and kalamata olives, or arugula salad with lemon vinaigrette. Tomatoes are good too, but I prefer fresh tomatoes on top rather than sauced tomatoes inside.

Also, please provide plans/pics of this wood burning contraption!

3 Likes

Only took 9 years to get from Japan to the USA.

Here’s the 2006 press release

http://japan.kfc.co.jp/news/news061215ph.html

2003 is when the started with sausage in the crust

http://japan.kfc.co.jp/news/news030217ph.html

2 Likes

Ah, that’s the crucial bit of missing information. It wasn’t clear that they were meat pies. (Which aren’t a “thing” in the US fast food thing. Although you can find the spicy/hot ethnic varieties in some neighborhoods.)

2 Likes

Probably closer to the ancient origins of pizza.

The Romans had stands which sold spiced flatbread as fast food. Not a stretch from pizza. I can imagine them having cheese, but no way they’d have tomatoes.

2 Likes

ugh

#that’s a cracker

1 Like

Just to be clear (as an American this came as a surprise to me at first) “tomato sauce” means “ketchup” in Australia and New Zealand. The stuff you’re thinking of is “pasta sauce” or “pizza sauce.”

2 Likes

Pizzahut did really raise their game in the UK a few years back, with quite passable pizza, like this one below (served on slate, with balsamic drizzle - which was all the rage back then)

Then other “posh-pizza” places came and squeezed the market - so they reverted back to targeting gluttons.

2 Likes

You’re thinking Roman style (which isn’t Roman at all, just what it is called).

1 Like

I certainly will! It is ugly as sin right now since I haven’t cut the bricks, but I want to do a few test burns before I make it permanent.

All I know is the stuff in the picture above has never even met a tomato :smile:

But really live and let live. The crazy pizzas pictured would be considered masterpieces if served by Fergus Henderson. But I will not forgive the marketer that came up with squeezies.

1 Like