Pizza-making robot startup lays off 80% of staff

While I sympathize with the former Zume employees, I am not at all displeased to see that automated crap-factory disappear. The pizza crust was truly horrible. Seriously, if I want pizza that perfunctory, I can buy any number of premade crusts and screw up the job myself. The Zume business model reminded me vaguely of the Juicero business model, insofar as the team brainstorming this concept completely lost sight of what they were trying to accomplish.

4 Likes

Everyone can go home until next year now. You will not do better than this majestic pun.

5 Likes

I think the plan at this point for all these companies is:

1. Con Masayoshi Son into believing that your idea is going to be “the Uber/Airbnb/Tesla of [insert industry].” (This appears to be the easy part).
  2. Get billions in investment capital.
  3. Pull as much money as you can out of the company before the wheels come off the clown car.
  4. Repeat.
8 Likes

To make a pizza making robot go in the hometown of pizza. Naples.
This is a research project in robotics and computer vision.
Is implied that the money is “lost”, but is a research grant.

On the other hand there are industrial machines that could make precooked pizza. There are electromechanical PLC-controlled systems that are plain old engineering.
These could be built to make a profit but aren’'t sexy for a venture capital.

https://www.primitalia.com/eng/pizze_industriale.htm

5 Likes

Does that really matter though? It’s still part of slut-shaming culture, analogizing to the idea that virtue is somehow inversely proportional to the number of sexual partners with which one has been. Specifically, saying “pizza slut” is saying that it’s worth is less because it’s like promiscuous people in that it’s standards are lower.

Historically the connotation invokes women because women have been predominately shamed for sexual prowess while men have been predominately rewarded (albeit in a hypocritical wink wink nod nod manner which flies in the face of supposedly chaste values). So while making the Pizza Slut pun on Pizza Hut’s lackluster pizza may seem like merely clever word play, the fact is that it invokes the culture of slut shaming that denigrates promiscuity (and especially female promiscuity) to augment the so-called joke.

Now look, if people want to make tasteless puns, that’s their deal. But they should at least face the reality of why “Pizza Slut” carries the cultural cachet that it does.

9 Likes

When this was first announced all I could see was all the parts that would still have to be cleaned by humans as per health codes.

4 Likes

I just assume that “Softbank” is another way of saying, “money laundering”.

6 Likes

Well said, thank you for writing it. I get too angry to reply coherently.

When someone raises an issue with gendered, racial, ability, ethnic, cultural, etc, based slurs, the right response is always: “My apologies for thoughtlessly using that phrasing. You raise an important point and I probably should not use that insult going forward, I am sure I can find one that does not have the side effects that one does.”

NOT f’ing argue about why, no, it is totally ok to use it and it is the other person’s problem.

4 Likes

Having worked for a few years to get a startup off the ground with awesome technology and high p(success) this sort of thing pisses me off. We would have been set with 1/30 of that to work with.

4 Likes

And here I thought the robots had taken over and were dispensing with the lowly humans. Came for the Robopocalypse, left disappointed.

4 Likes

I just assume that “Softbank” is another way of saying, “money laundering”.

Perhaps, but not wildly likely; the private investment space was ripe for picking after companies were desperate for cash in the credit crunch after 2008. Today it tends to be very slim pickings. You might be surprised at the disappointingly banal reasons why private investments go ahead in some cases and not in others.

Or you might be a student of humanity and not so surprised… :thinking:

2 Likes

You do realize why insults are insults, correct?

Furthermore, I understand your point, and I apologize for offending you, but you. Do. Not. Define. All. Discourse. Everyone else gets a vote, as well, for both good and ill. My MOTHER is the one who taught me that name for Pizza Hut, in the first place. She gets a vote.

Notably, my mom would tear my skin off, if I referred to another person in an insulting manner this way, but she also uses the word for Pizza Hut and for very affectionate cats. Context matters. For example, it’s completely appropriate and correct to refer to a female dog as a “bitch”. Another person, however? Nope.

I’ll take your advice to heart but you should be aware that your stance will tend to push people to do exactly what annoys you. And before you argue, I’ve already seen exactly that happen many times. Yes, it IS possible to overreact to this kind of thing.

Note: “Other person’s problem”…? No. Keep your words in your own mouth, please. Thank you.

I want to be crystal clear about a few things.

One, I know for a fact that @orenwolf understands the difficulties of intersectionality and that also he was endeavoring to check his own biases. I can’t overstate how much I admire that, even if sometimes I’m not entirely onboard with what valuable moderators and fellow interlocutors express. All forums should be so fortunate as to have the level of caring moderators as this one has now and in the past. The internet would be a far far better place.

Two, I do believe @Bozobub is receptive to constructive conversation. I don’t seriously reply to commenters who I believe are arguing in bad faith. I may be wrong in either direction, as I have in the past, but I don’t wish to be misconstrued. Yes, I very much disagree with his argument; that’s not anger.

Yes, it does. As does multilateral empathy.

8 Likes

Fair enough.

1 Like

I’m a fan of cheap pizza. Seriously. Sure, there’s BETTER pizza, but something about the cardboard pizza reminds me of… childhood? Probably young adulthood when I was poor and couldn’t afford much and a frozen pizza was a bit of a treat compared to more ramen.

2 Likes

And this is why Boing Boing forums are some of the few I regularly read and participate in. You folks rock, and you teach me a great deal every day. Thanks!

2 Likes

For what it is worth, from your responses you clearly do not understand the issues around using gendered slurs.

And your advice to shut up and take because that makes people do it more is stale and usually used for victim blaming. When I see them, I will continue to point out that gendered, age, ability, etc based slurs should be avoided because they reinforce damaging stereotypes, even if you think your use of them is ok.

I appreciated Oren pointing it out as it deserved to be called out.

I am done engaging with you on this.

1 Like

Here we go…

So what you’re saying is that your area is underserved, eh?

6 Likes

Say a giant middle east conflagration thing were to happen, right in the vicinity of Saudi Arabia… Like say, more refineries bombed, or even a blockade of the Strait of Hormuz… What’s going to happen to all of SoftBank’s glorious investments once the Saudi sovereign wealth fund is in jeopardy?

1 Like