Pizza-making robot startup lays off 80% of staff

“Zume, one of the biggest capital-backed companies in the pizza startup space […]”

This is insane.

6 Likes

Not sure about every company on that list, but MOD Pizza, for example, is really good. They were a local Seattle joint that raised capital not to exist but to expand. They also have a strong progressive corporate mission. One of the few examples of benevolent use of capital investment.

6 Likes

Not @Bozobub’s point, but I would totally go to a restaurant called Pizza Slut.

7 Likes

I think this is one of those “inept rather than conspiracy” type situations, but also an indication of a perverse wider trend about how certain types of supposed “tech” companies are being really weirdly (over-) valued right now.

1 Like

Mod pizza, my local one, is consistently undercooked even if you choose just a few toppings knowing that that location tends to undercook. Yet I’ve had very good mod pizzas at other locations, even high traffic ones. So my experience is decidedly mixed.

2 Likes

note to self: step one in Pizza-making robot manufacturing plan - make make robots to make Pizza-making robots.

3 Likes

Man, I miss the stable old financial landscape of the .com bubble.

7 Likes

Alternately, if the business’s model was successful, it would have laid off 80% of it’s staff anyway.

3 Likes

We have three of those fast-pizzerias(?) within a mile, and 2 of them within walking distance, of each other. I think I give the nod to MOD (couldn’t resist). Blaze is really consistent about singeing the crust. The third one is Lotsa and I remember it being OK.

A block from MOD is a Whole Foods, where they make a delicious, nice and chewy crust, but it’s really inconsistent depending on the baker (I look to see whether one individual is working, otherwise I can expect rust-colored, crispy mozzarella).

Also within walking distance is the original Ledo’s which is a whole different thing.

2 Likes

Ah, that brings us to part two: government regulations that will be gone soon because they stifle innovation and profit.

1 Like

I’ll reiterate this - great pizza, and great corporate culture. Also available in Austin!

4 Likes

Once again, you can stop attempting to put words in my mouth. I never said anything remotely like what you’re implying here, point of fact, and you won’t be able to provide a quote showing otherwise. Good day to you.

When I was a kid, I think we got generic frozen pizza a bit (from the grocery store, no real brand), but more comon it was Kraft pizza mix. That had a distinctive taste, though I’m sure aoke wouod say “bad taste”. It was a treat, but doesn’t compare wifh take out pizza. Oddly, though I now generally make pizza crom scratch, I’m thinking of doing it tonight, I have an urge to see if I can still get that Kraft pizza kit and make it.

It wasn’t until a teenager that I remember having pizza delivered, and that was after having it outside the family.

I think I had more takeout submarines than pizza for a long time.

It’s been an hour since I’ve read this thread and all I can think about is making a nostalgically crappy Torino’s pizza and if there are any derogatory terms that aren’t colored in some kind of bias…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.