Plane lands safely, at wrong airport, in wrong country

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/25/plane-lands-safely-at-wrong-a.html

8 Likes

Well at least nothing blew up, nobody died and nothing was destroyed.

Not that I wouldn’t be irate at ending up in the wrong destination and the inconvenience, but still… these days ya gotta look for those silver linings.

31 Likes

There’s the old saw about how news only reports the bad, i.e. reporting the plane crash, but not reporting all the safe landings that day.

So this is good news, I guess?

8 Likes

This gave me an idea for “Random Destination Airways”. You pay one low price, bring your passport, and you will end up somewhere. In fact, that could be the slogan.

“You’ll end up somewhere.”

(edit) More thought. Even the pilots don’t know the destination until they open the sealed orders, and they don’t announce it to the passengers and crew until they are at the halfway point.

26 Likes

12 Likes

So, Pocket Planes then. :wink:

2 Likes

At least they didn’t land in the wrong reality… or did they?

Quick, ask them who the US President is, or about the Berenstein Bears!

11 Likes

I’m asking you!

1 Like

This is what happens when you get a little TOO much Captain in you…

9 Likes

Just checked my VHS collection, I think we’re still in the correct reality

9 Likes

Plane lands safely, at wrong airport, in wrong country

Bad case of the Mondays.

18 Likes

4 Likes

There are a few services almost like that, where you get a sealed envelope with your destination that you open at the airport.

I used this one for my mini-honeymoon and ended up spending a lovely week in Warsaw, which was nice and cheap after the expensive of a wedding.

7 Likes

I’m trying to imagine the shared look between Captain and First Officer when they first realized the mistake. I’m also curious what euphemisms were used in the cabin announcement to avoid having to say “You’re not going to believe this, but . . .”

9 Likes

I’m sure the passengers of this plane would disagree but I would be absolutely delighted at a surprise trip to Edinburgh.

12 Likes

“No matter where you go, there you are.”

14 Likes

strangelove-_wing_attack_plan_r-386x290

20 Likes

I think I’d rather be in Scotland…

9 Likes

I’ve zoned out driving and ended up in my highschool parking lot. So hey, we’re all human (unless it was the autopilot that took them to Scotland…then you might want to find out who this AI has been talking to on the neuralnets. Maybe the robots know something we don’t…)

4 Likes

If their destination turns out to be Dallas, they’re all set!

2 Likes