Plans for Trump's July 4 'Military Tanks on The Mall' parade remain secret

I actually wonder how much an Abrams would tear up the streets. Ground pressure on tanks is less than you would expect because the treads spread the load out much more than regular tires. Assuming the tanks are outfitted with road treads they should be less damaging than a loaded semi.

The flatbed trucks they used to drive them into the city almost certainly caused more damage, simply because the mass of the tanks is concentrated on just wheels instead of spread out over the tracks.

Of course the thousand other reasons why this was a terrible idea mattered more than the road damage in the end.

2 Likes

Apparently you couldn’t even see them unless you were one of the VIPs because they were located in the ticketed area.

2 Likes

Nothing about most of the reactions are PRODUCTIVE. Feelings and reactions rarely are. Sometimes they can make you feel better.

And I’d submit that there isn’t anything inherently wrong with having the military in a 4th of July parade.

Suggestions aren’t productive - actions can be.

And as long as we are listing tanks, there really is only one best kind of tanks. Sci-fi legged ones:

Ghost in the Shell - Hexapod

2 Likes

Rebuttal: Series 209, Robocop. :wink:

5 Likes

If you like ED-209 sound bites combined with 90s UK Dance/Hip Hop, try this:

4 Likes

The track pads prevent the road surface getting damaged too much, assuming the road is made to take the weight. Many roads and bridges arent. The end connectors on the tracks will easily tear up kerbs(curbs?) and guard rails. A pivot steer (spinning in place) will rip up an asphalt road surface nicely.

We used to drive between Vilseck and Hohenfels in Germany with the Abrams. Those roads are all rated for tanks though. The damage would happen if the tank drifted too close to the sidewalk.

7 Likes
12 Likes

Just hit the reset button.

Too bad this is reality, where we have to deal problems as they exist.

2 Likes

You’re not wrong, but I’m not sure what you’re getting at. I too am in favor of dealing with problems as they exist.

We can’t hit the reset button. What has happened happened. We can only deal with that and move forward.

2 Likes

This is painful. Honestly, I don’t know how to break the news to you, but someone has to do it. Sometimes, English phrases aren’t meant to be taken literally. When I said, “hit the reset button,” I wasn’t actually recommending that the person I was responding to use their finger to depress an actual button. What I was recommending was that the person I was responding to ought to pause for a minute, re-read the correspondence we’ve had, and consider whether or not we aren’t communicating on the same terms. This is a reset button that we most certainly can hit, and I recommend you hit it as well. I’ll meet you after the reboot process is complete if you’d like.

1 Like

Um, you weren’t in the 2nd Armored Cavalry by any chance, were you? We did a lot of rail transports to Grafenwoehr/Vilseck and to Hohenfels, and only road convoyed when rotating between the barracks and the Border, or from the rail station to the barracks. Inside the training areas, the roads are all gravel because of the amount of tracked vehicles, and the tracked vehicles weren’t allowed on the asphalted post roads.

Oh, we did do some training in the local countryside during Reforger, but that was expensive and I recall at least one historical bridge collapsing because the LT told his driver to ignore the weight rating.

10 Likes

All I want to know is, how long until the administration finally goes to the sole supplier of The Shiny Thing Tinyhands Wants This Moment who refuses to provide without seeing the bill paid in full, cash up front, before delivery.

Probably won’t happen, because about the only thing the Redcap In Chief acknowledges is when he’s in the weaker position, so he can bray about sour grapes and find Some Other Shiny Thing.

1 Like

You mis-spelled ‘conservatives’ in that last sentence, there. The Republicans were only concerned about Russian-origin money going into NRA coffers and thence to Donny’s campaign after the Democrats, among others, brought it onto nationwide news.

1 Like

No, 1AD out of Friedberg in the '90’s. We would typically railhead at Parsberg, but if we had back-to-back rotations at Graf/Hohenfels we would just drive the few hours between the two bases.

1 Like

Okay. We need a hot-air version, then. Ohh, the irony, it burns!

5 Likes

Wtf? It’s about establishment Democrats who accept money from and do the bidding of financiers. It also mentions Democrats who don’t.

9 Likes

I refuse to follow your shifting goalposts.

Do you think Russians under the bed is a bigger problem than establishment Dems accepting money and doing the bidding of financiers? If not, have you found yourself as alarmed recently about the latter as about the former?

4 Likes

The two leaders in the plot discussed are actually Glossu Rabban and Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen. The Baron’s plan is to put “The Beast” Rabban in charge of Dune until the people cry out for change and then replace Rabban with put the favoured heir; Feyd-Rautha. Paul messes this up by taking over.

On a serious note I think a lot of people are awake to how this is playing out. Crazier and crazier Republican leaders make it more and more necessary to accept awfuller and awfuller Democratic leaders.

But the real reason I bring this up is because I am proposing that Trump be replaced by Sting. You could do worse.

5 Likes