Please God let this be real: Hanna-Barbera to reboot Snagglepuss as "Gay Southern Gothic Playwright"

Not sure exactly what you mean, but I meant wave of film actors playing this stereotype. Were there examples in silents? Can you be mincing & snarky without words?

Although, I think there was more mince than snark.

You can be mincing and snarky in theater and opera buffo. The archetype probably goes all the way back to the Romans. I’m just speculating out loud here but it might have been born as a way to make fun of the educated and sexually fluid Greeks. Only a wild guess though. Maybe some of our classics scholars can chime in.

2 Likes

Yes, but without the voice of Daws Butler (or a soundalike) channeling Bert Lahr I think it will lose a lot. I’m afraid fewer and fewer people are familiar with the voice of Snagglepuss. I still have a Snagglepuss book from when I was wee, and when I read it to my kids I always made sure to use Snagglepuss’s voice, to the best of my ability.

2 Likes

Heavens to Murgatroid!

I can’t believe nobody said this already.

8 Likes

FTFY even.

8 Likes

7 Likes

Augie Doggie is in this too? Cool!

I wonder if Ruff and Reddy will be an interspecies couple.

5 Likes

6 Likes

I love the concept and dialogue, but the character design is kinda freaky. Already saw examples of people redoing the art:

4 Likes

Pretty sure it’s freaky on purpose.

2 Likes

Intentional? It’s supposed to look overwrought and faintly alt and maybe even a bit putrid. The one on the right is clearly superior cartooning, but it’s also a generic modern furry with a nice Tumblr vibe.

Surely “Gay Southern Gothic” is not here to affirm our sexuality, but to make us gape in transfixed fascination at Snagglepuss’s, just as we have been doing since 1959.

4 Likes

True. It also fits the aesthetic of the Flintstones and Wacky Racers comics, so I guess they’re going for a consistent alt-comics realism.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.