Police have trouble busting down door

That was my thought too.
In a standard built American framed house it would take me less time than that to go through a wall using my 28 oz or so straight claw framing hammer.
These walls though must’ve been steel re-enforced concrete.
That door was very springy, absorbing most of the energy. Good door.
In my house you could just kick in the doors, but they’re never locked anyways.

1 Like

Officers of Spain’s famous Guardia Civil

Nit-pick: that phrasing makes them sound like an elite force, like US Navy SEALs or the SAS, but the Guardia Civil are simply the Spanish national police.

1 Like

I was hoping that the door would turn out to be a picture painted on a solid wall.

6 Likes

That footage is terrifying to me. I think i hear voices of women & children.

2 Likes

Gratuitous Spanish

Probably was a steel door. My apartment door is steel as well.

1 Like

it makes one feel more hobbit-y?

That reminds me of my time living in Moldova in an ex-Soviet apartment block, in those “family” apartments consisting of 3 or 4 units in one. Steel door after steel door. It felt pretty secure compared to a US apartment.

2 Likes

The neighborhood I live in is fairly rough and in a large city, so we also have bars on all the ground floor windows. Funny though, I’ve never had a problem here save for porch pirates now and then. However, at the times I lived in a more affluent/white neighborhood, I had my apartment broken into twice and my car 5 times. Also funny: here I know most of my neighbors and have a relationship with them. notsomuch in the other neighborhoods (even after introducing myself upon moving in). If you heard from your neighbors, it was likely in a passive aggressive anonymous note.

2 Likes
1 Like

No, they are not. They are a military force* with police duties that only works in rural areas.
Spain’s national police is the Policia Nacional.

*Military only in name and regulations, they don’t have war gear of any type.

So far as I’m aware, Spain has three police forces, combining quasi-military, civilian and local branches. The Guardia Civil can operate anywhere, but yes, generally leave urban policing to the Policía Nacional which, despite the name, are not THE national police.

Yes, the Guardia Civil are sort-of military, in the same way as the Italian Carabinari or French Gendarmerie are in all practical respects police forces. They’re not analogous to, say, the US National Guard.

But as I say, that’s just my understanding. I worked in northern Spain in the early 90s, encountering the different branches of law enforcement (close to the Basque region, road blocks and passport checks were common), but yes, that was a long time ago. :wink:
I’m pretty sure about the Policía Nacional not being THE national police, though.

2 Likes

If you spend all your money on a top-end security door, burglars will have nothing to steal if they do manage to get past it.

7 Likes

Maybe they should have tried pulling instead.

I’m Spanish, I live in Spain, and I have close friends both in the Guardia Civil and the National Police.
Urban policing belongs to the Policía Local (Local Police) except in autonomic regions capitals; the National Police takes care of that because of the concentration of government buildings.
Rural and motorway policing belongs to the Guardia Civil (except in Catalonia and Basque Country).
National Police belongs everywhere except in the autonomic regions that have their own police force (Basque country, Catalonia and Navarre) and also take care of big crime like organized crime, terrorism and so on, even on those autonomies that have their own police forces.

3 Likes

I apologise. Many thanks for the clarification - it seems my old memory was just plain wrong!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.