Police shoot and kill unarmed black man holding a cell phone in his backyard

Clearly the solution in this case would be a good guy with a gun to shoot the good guys with guns before they shoot the good guy without a gun.

27 Likes

From the original source article, linked in the linked article

Officers entered the front yard of Clark’s residence in the 7500 block of 29th Street and spotted him along the side of the house. Department spokesman Vance Chandler said the man tracked by the helicopter was the same person confronted by officers, who said they ordered him to stop and show his hands. That man was later identified as Clark.

Police said Clark instead fled from the officers toward the back of the property, where police said he turned and advanced toward the officers with an object in his hands.

“Fearing for their safety,” the officers fired multiple rounds at Clark at 9:26 p.m., hitting him several times, the department said.

The two officers involved in the shooting then held their position for about five minutes until additional officers arrived before approaching the victim. Clark was pronounced dead at the scene.

I bolded the part that has so far gone uncommented on. There’s a whole series of illogical leaps that took place there, but that one is the one is the one that really sets it off to me.

11 Likes

29 Likes

Yoinkage.

10 Likes

We could all use more Nina Simone

12 Likes

obviously anger means something different from white to black since all have a history of useless anger. there is no white Malcolm X & dark skinned people have never controlled all natural resources. (to start…) …

4 Likes

They shot him dead and then waited for backup?

What the fuuuuuuuuck?!?

19 Likes

Behold the case of Philando Castile, legal gun owner. He was pulled over by a cop for a traffic violation. When he was asked for his registration, he calmly explained to the officer that he had a permit to carry a gun and it was located in his glove box where the registration was. He opened the glove box and was shot to death by the officer. The NRA said next to nothing. He should have been their martyred poster boy, but Philando Castile was black, so they barely acknowledged his existence let alone spoke up for his rights.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/post-nation/wp/2017/06/18/some-gun-owners-are-disturbed-by-the-philando-castile-verdict-the-nra-is-silent/

23 Likes

It seems actually completely logical if you think about what they were “really” thinking, which was “Wow, that wasn’t a gun after all. We fucked this up and need some real cops here just so we can walk away from the mess we just made. While we wait let’s make sure our stories match.”

I know if I had just killed someone mistakenly I’d be sitting on the curb for a few minutes myself thinking about my life choices.

4 Likes

You’re going to have to specify which good guy is gooder.

2 Likes

Stop trying to apply logic to this situation, BRAINspore.

6 Likes

Not if he’s black. The second amendment was written when black people weren’t citizens so it doesn’t apply to them. /s

12 Likes

What do you suppose “well armed militia” was for, if not for hunting for human beings trying to escape enslavement?

10 Likes

Helicopter and bodycam video.

4 Likes

This does indeed sound like another of those really bad police shootings. Went looking for details to see just how badly the cops screwed up this time.

I watched the helicopter video and it makes a little more sense. The police on the ground may or may not have heard from the helicopter about this person going over a fence, odd but not super odd. It looks like the police confront this person in the drive way and he goes around the back of the house. Surely the police told him to stay right where he was.

So now you have this guy that appears to have run from the police going around the corner and out of sight. Lord knows what to expect when you go around that corner. I’d have some worries about being shot.

I see that the police had more reason to be worried for themselves than the initial article mentions. However, at the moment the crime is what, breaking windows? Call for backup, you won’t lose him given the helicopter is right over head. If you do lose him, what?, You’ve failed to apprehend a window breaker.

1 Like

No joke: I read the BB snip, scrolled down just enough to see your avatar and thought to myself ‘It’s the Barrymore scream. It has to be.’

Not because you’re predictable but because this shit is and yet it stings every. goddamn. fucking. time.

Fuck.

12 Likes

They had no choice. He might have called 911 or started recording at any moment.

8 Likes

I also alternate with the ‘Mary Louise Parker’ scream of frustration:

But yeah; same shit different day.

When it comes to this mindless fuckery that never seems to cease, I don’t mind being ‘predictable’ because my reaction of outrage and dismay will always be the same, as long as this shit keeps happening.

14 Likes

The guy with the gun, duh.

2 Likes

Getting their stories straight. Arranging physical “evidence.”

9 Likes