Police shoot and kill unarmed black man holding a cell phone in his backyard

Can someone explain to me how the comment in question blames the victim? I really don’t understand…

On first blush, it seems like he’s saying that the guy should have known better than to put his arms out in front of the cops, because he was black. Hence victim blaming, if that’s the meaning. The second sentence seems to be more about the cops lying about the guy’s actions, though. So I asked for clarity.

3 Likes

To me it reads like: “I don’t believe what the cops are saying because black people are generally smart and knowledgeable enough not to take the kind of risk involved at putting their arms out in front of police.”

2 Likes

Well, as it came off more ambiguously to my first reading. Sorry for that.

3 Likes

I assume there are apps that upload video to the cloud in real time during filming for secure backup? If so, everyone should have one installed for this reason.

1 Like

Deadly force is only justified by risk of life - running is not a justification to shoot, which is why the cops played the “show me your hands” game, their training was when you decide to shoot, play the fig leaf first, then you can raise the “felt threatened” defense.

These cops are trained to kill exactly as they did - they have decided to treat the neighborhood as a warzone, and the residents as combatants, and honor no rules of engagement.

4 Likes

That’s precisely it. There’s no honor.

1 Like

It’s really the crown icon that makes this banner. :smiley:

3 Likes

WaPo’s database misses a lot of police committed homicides (they’re currently missing 46 deaths on the year). Killed by Police is more thorough. There have been 10 people killed by police from Mar. 19 though yesterday. 4 people were killed on the 18th.

The time to reform “qualified immunity” has long passed. It’s well past time to end the usual outcome of murderous cops getting a paid vacation and a jury acquittal every time they kill someone.

9 Likes

Maybe reloading? Apparently they shot him 20 times.

Life is well past the “movie script would have been rejected because it is way past plausible “ stage

4 Likes

How hard would it be to jam “Police!” into “Show me your hands, gun, bang-bang-bang”?

4 Likes

Once again, the Onion is way too accurate.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.