Political fall out from Covid-19 pandemic

that, and conveniently glossing over the first few weeks of the epidemic

Some paywalls leak so notoriously that they hardly are worth mentioning, eh?

1 Like

What “paywalls” am I too dumb to understand?

2 Likes

I dunno-- do you know of a backdoor into Taylor and Francis’s service?

1 Like

Please. tell me how I can not be a piece of shit here.

1 Like

eh. Some paywalls leak into reader mode. Some leak into the sourcecode view. Some will kick you out if you use incognito modes. It’s a pain in the ass keeping track of all the adversarial methods, and sometimes I think a “phonebook” listing of all the ways in would be useful. And no-one’s faulted for not memorizing a phonebook. I wasn’t trying to imply lack of skill, I just was trying to mention the way in.

3 Likes

I still failed. Again. always. failing.

Thief returns money to the cash register. “It’s all cool!”

3 Likes

15 Likes

Thanks, this is very useful. (Newer versions of Chrome don’t have reader mode, you need to install an extension. I think Firefox still has it.)

2 Likes

Did you post this ironically? Because my response to @74hc595 was none of the above. It was a reasoned response to the assertion that the EU should fail. A subsequent post showed my reasoning, with citations, as to why failure of the EU would be catastrophic for Europe, and pretty bad for the rest of the world, too.

Which makes your accusation, Latin or no, non sequitur, reductio ad absurdum itself.

If that was intentional irony, then I applaud you, sir! If not, well, arrivaderci?

10 Likes

https://www.miamiherald.com/article242350451.html
(Y U No 1box?)

Biden, Warren: There’s no oversight of coronavirus relief — because that’s what Trump wants

BY JOE BIDEN AND ELIZABETH WARREN SPECIAL TO MCCLATCHY

MAY 03, 2020 06:00 AM, UPDATED MAY 03, 2020 12:41 AM

7 Likes

If you put it that way, it sounds perfectly reasonable, however, it’s miles away from your original

which sounded very personal.

This not a courtroom nor any sophomore debate team.

There is not judge nor ORLY textbook to point to here. So let us consider this argumentum ad verecundiam booooooooring and dusted.

3 Likes

Is sci-hub blocked for you?

Honestly I sometimes use it for things I have access to because it’s handier and I don’t have to remember if and how I have access.

4 Likes

ds9-sisko-what

I don’t think @DukeTrout is assuming that you will personally cause a war in Europe, just that the end of the EU would likely mean a return to more open conflict in Europe…

6 Likes

Well, that’s wonderful, then!

tumblr_n0qnpalzKQ1qmo44oo1_400

I’d say that your response was like that Archer meme: “Do you want continent-shredding war every 15-20 years? Because that’s how you get continent-shredding war.” :slight_smile: I don’t take that personally at all, and it is a good argument for EU, especially what you said about Balkans.

5 Likes

& @74hc595

While I’m a big believer in the burden of communication being on that of the communicator (in this case, me), I still can’t see how what I wrote could be taken personally. It’s literally right there in the EU mission statement, charter, and founding documents that one of their main purposes is to end the centuries-long cycle of war in Europe. Since it isn’t reasonable to expect that I was implying that @74hc595 would be personally responsible for starting a war, then the conclusion that I was heaping scorn on them, rather than on the anti-EU movement in general, seems a reach.

And with that you give me more credit than I deserve. :blush:

10 Likes

“E” for effort.

Keep trying, you’ll get the hang of this whole gif thing before you know it!

7 Likes