Political fall out from Covid-19 pandemic

Also, “they wonder why they lose” assumes that the Democrats are going to lose. Which the polling does not bear out at the moment.

3 Likes

Or in 2016, let’s remember.

3 Likes

Polling pays little attention to the machinations of election thievery.

4 Likes

The polling was pretty accurate in 2018. And it wasn’t as bad as people remember it in 2016; what went wildly wrong was not the polling, but the predictive models based on the polling.

Yes, that’s true. Our crime-boss president will, like every authoritarian despot in the world, try to brutally quash any attempt to remove him from office, and is sure to have some new shit up his sleeve that we will not be ready for.

7 Likes

Neither do election results, unfortunately.

Huh? To the contrary, election thievery produces election results.

2 Likes

Dear US states like… oh, I dunno… Georgia, ¹ this is what a plan looks like:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/bc-restart-plan

¹This is aimed at the political leadership, which is a different thing than the often-disenfranchised people who live in Georgia.

6 Likes

No wonder Trump wants the CDC to fudge its death numbers down.

10 Likes

Or what Mitch? What possible shity thing could you do that you haven’t already done?

17 Likes

Is it time to start talking about work projects?

19 Likes

Yes! That and a raid on the coffers of Goldman Sachs.

14 Likes

What to do is so obvious, yet so unlikely to be done. In Keynes fashion you need a big state sponsored project and there is a task at hand that is both really important and expensive. Countering climate change. But current politics wont allow for something that sober and simple. Working with other countries, admitting that previously the problems were downplayed, angering existing wealth holders. No way in hell that could happen.

16 Likes

(cross posted from Climate Change thread)

The right wing is now trying to paint investment bankers as ecofreaks and left wing climate extremists. What they failed to account for is that these folks’ sole loyalty is to the almighty dollar, they have no political loyalty at all. If supporting right wing causes is going to make their investments flop, they will abandon ship in an instant. I would take this (because I desperately need something hopeful right now) as a very good sign that the reality of climate change is sinking in to the movers and shakers, they just don’t want the peons to know about it yet.

15 Likes

No, that would have been around 2000.

4 Likes

Why yes… just not with this president.

Roger that!

This is good!

13 Likes

As I wrote last week, the Biden campaign has been doing its best to conceal Larry Summers’s involvement in the campaign. But now Bloomberg News has outed him.

My own reporting indicates that Summers not only plays a direct role, but has managed to insert close allies and protégés to argue against progressive policies, including his former student and frequent co-author Natasha Sarin (they wrote an op-ed trashing Warren’s proposed wealth tax), as well as Adam Looney, who served with Summers at the Obama White House and then was policy director of the Robert Rubin–sponsored Hamilton Project.

The good news is that apparently lots of liberal screaming has made them run for cover. That may not sound like an exciting difference between Biden and Trump, but it actually is really huge.

7 Likes

Some good news, perhaps:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/ignoring-trump-and-right-wing-think-tanks-red-states-expand-vote-by-mail

Only days later, Kentucky finalized its plan for the biggest increase in vote by mail in the state’s history. Secretary of State Mike Adams (no relation to J. Christian) said he had little trouble persuading legislators to pass the measure. “I’ve been pleasantly surprised on social media and elsewhere,” he said. “Republicans and Democrats both have been supportive of what we did.”

12 Likes

This is infuriating on so many levels.

Trump has been publicly slandering Obama since the latter first started campaigning for President and hasn’t let up since. During all that time Obama has been remarkably restrained in his counter-attacks, for the most part either publicly ignoring Trump entirely or referring to Trump’s attacks only indirectly. After Trump’s 2016 victory Obama has pretty much followed the pattern set by other modern ex-Presidents and has largely avoided public criticism of his successor’s conduct even though Trump hasn’t returned the favor.

So now McConnell is complaining that after all that Obama “should have kept his mouth shut” on a private phone call? Whatever the universe has planned for McConnell’s comeuppance it’s not nearly harsh enough.

18 Likes

“I think it’s a little bit classless, frankly”

What McConnell is saying, in case anyone is unfamiliar with the terminology of his set, is that Obama needs to know his place.

23 Likes

Douchebags always have to win.

3 Likes