Political fall out from Covid-19 pandemic

unfortunately, now more than ever, reality is in firm opposition to conservative talking points. and there can be no true bi-partisan consensus until the republican establishment can acknowledge those facts on the ground… that’s their step to take, not progressive minded people talking to each other on message boards.

non-republican conservatives ( probably people like joe biden, etc. ) might have different ways of dealing with those facts then more liberal or progressive politicians - but the current national conversation isn’t, unfortunately, even in that ballpark.

all this really needs to get split off into the political fallout thread. ( anyone know how to do that? ) otherwise this will quickly become derailing.

24 Likes

I don’t know how to split off the thread, but if somebody does, I think this should be global discussion not just the US. We don’t have republicans and democrats here, but we should be having the same debate.

1 Like

29 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: Treason in the USA

13 Likes

Bipartisanship: If the evil party likes it, and the stupid party likes it, chances are it’s both evil and stupid.

6 Likes

Glad to see that getting mainstream press coverage.

3 Likes

CYA legal boilerplate. Without it, Koch Industries or such would hunt for a minor inaccuracy and tie them up in court. They provide information to the best of their ability to verify it, but they aren’t going to die on a hill for every word, and they’re not going to stand behind anyone who gets sued either.

When I’ve checked their information against my own research, I’ve found it accurate.

That’s seems like a disingenuous point.

13 Likes

And nothing to back up any of the other assertions.

BBS isn’t Quora and all that, but joining just to badmouth a site without anything to back it up is dubious.

9 Likes

Some of their funding is anonymous, but it’s not equivalent to the type of funding that comes from Koch Bro, Big Oil, Big Tobacco, and various dark money ATMs to the right-wing groups.

https://www.erieri.com/Form990Finder/Details?EIN=391777402

8 Likes
17 Likes

19 Likes

On Thursday, acting Navy secretary Thomas Modly announced Captain Brett Crozier was relieved of command due to showing “extremely poor judgment” by sending out a memo to Navy higher-ups about the dire COVID-19 infection rate on his ship.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/esper-brett-crozier-navy-captain-firing-tough-decision

8 Likes

I’ve always found Quora a bit dubious.

4 Likes

“It was the way in which he did it,” said Modly.

Meaning in a way the Navy couldn’t ignore. It makes no sense that the captain of an aircraft carrier would go public without good reason knowing full well it would at least cost him his command.

11 Likes

Follow-up: Captain Crozier has tested positive for the coronavirus.

11 Likes

the current chief executive got elected by promising to put his opponent in prison

maybe you should talk to him about it

14 Likes

An interesting perspective on the decision:

12 Likes

GWB was just a regular dumbass, he wasn’t “time to take grandpa’s keys away and put him in a home”

9 Likes

Could but, won’t be.

12 Likes