Poll worker charged with assaulting black voter, shouting racist remarks

I feel your pain as a former resident of W. Va.

12 Likes

Christ, what a racist.

17 Likes

I was taught English by two very British teachers in school and I had not seen that particular word before today. Never too late to learn something.

5 Likes

I truly wonder why she was put in that position in the first place:

Randle told Anthony she had already reported her coworker many times to the police, that the racist comments had been coming from Barnes since a training at the church Monday night, and the team of African American poll workers knew Barnes was racist and were trying to get her removed from the polling site.

you cant tell me that wasnt known before that monday-night-training.

25 Likes

Fortunately the poll worker was relieved of her duties and faces a criminal assault charge: https://www.chron.com/news/politics/election/article/Poll-worker-directs-racist-language-at-a-north-13367024.php

32 Likes

Many White people often have a bad habit of utterly ignoring the concerns of Black people… usually until another fine upstanding White person cosigns on those aforementioned concerns.

27 Likes

Man, it’s like a Reece’s peanut butter cup of various ugly news trends: voter suppression, white entitlement, an aggressive racist lady threatening to use the cops to hurt someone when she’s clearly in the wrong…

20 Likes

Imagine a day when we simply concern ourselves with the issues for PEOPLE. Not black or white or rich or poor or mine or yours or the leper’s with purple and green polka dots.

Just saying “hey. What is best for all human beings. Let’s do that.”

I wish gene roddenberry’s vision was already here.

14 Likes

even in his vision we had to go through a near extinction-level war to get to the start of something better.

16 Likes

Had to look that one up… Good word, I’ll have to work it into conversation.

4 Likes

I do, constantly.

17 Likes

“She’s a sweet lil dear, don’t mean no harm by it. She’s just a bit old fashioned. You have to be understanding with these folk.”

–Texan prosecutor who’ll refuse to charge her with anything.

17 Likes

One of the more amusing thing about The Walking Dead has been how they differentiated their Texan characters* from everybody else by having them speak with more elaborate vocabularies, like everybody from Texas is accustomed to delivering scholarly lectures

∗ abraham and eugene

3 Likes

Nah. That was literary bullshit added for flair.

But I get your point.

Why stop there?

giphy image

32 Likes

It’s typically just a one day gig or so. There’s not much screening, they are often just looking for warm bodies. They’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. Some, I assume, are good people.

16 Likes

The Houston Chronicle reports that Barnes’ fellow poll workers tried to get her to back off, and that one of them walked out in disgust.

If it had been me, the response wouldn’t have been “walk out in disgust”, it would have been to pull her away from Anthony and deck her as hard as I possibly could. Since Anthony did get to vote and Barnes did get arrested, I admit that my solution wouldn’t have been the best. The sheer sneering arrogance of this white supremacist thug thinking she could do this with impunity is beyond enraging, though.

17 Likes

From your lips to god’s ears.

Only without the “butt.” God doesn’t care for your potty-mouth.

6 Likes

Don’t be ridiculous; it was a gift from God, herself!

:wink:

25 Likes

Roger That!

3 Likes