Porch thief breaks leg running off with packages

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/21/porch-thief-breaks-leg-running.html

2 Likes

tumblr_nvdd89nYIu1st4bmvo1_500

17 Likes

Having recently rather badly sprained my ankle, I’d say 58 days is about right to stay off it. And she’ll probably get better medical care there than homeless on the street. Sounds like a win/win.

3 Likes

Déjà vu: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/29/woman-steals-package-from-porc.html

7 Likes

This sounds just like my niece - same age, same list of offences. She also snatches packages, steals cars, shoplifts, ID theft, etc. in order feed her drug addiction. We’ve lot count how many times she’s been arrested but she still manages to avoid prison. Unfortunately she’s probably a lost cause at this point.

It’s one thing to be a teenager doing stupid shit but it’s another to be in your mid-30’s still living a street lifestyle with 3+ kids.

Meth is a helluva drug.

24 Likes

Hot damn, I love me some karma.

2 Likes

1 Like

I was going to call this a Time Warp…but I believe this is intended to be an update as @beschizza is providing the post mortem (so to speak).

5 Likes
  1. Steal packages
  2. Slip and sue home owner
  3. Profit!
3 Likes

Universal Basic Income would go a long way in helping to prevent this train wreck.

15 Likes

Something told me I’d seen this before. This happens to me a lot with faces, too.

2 Likes

I hope the kiddos are properly taken care of.

9 Likes

Hmm not really. Poverty breeds desperation, but the rich steal too.

2 Likes

Not off porches, though.

4 Likes

I don’t understand why I always feel bad for petty crooks. Sure, they are doing wrong and I would like them to stop but I always feel like there is something else going on. I always imagine there is some problem they face in their life or perhaps a compulsive behavior they need to address. Maybe it’s because we tend to focus on the small crimes and elect the serious criminals in to office. Either way, I hope all ends well for her and her children.

12 Likes

I can tell you that in the case of my niece who I wrote about upthread, she is unable to shake the bonds of drug addiction and a cultural attachment to gang/street life.

She’s 37 with 4 kids (they’ve all been taken away from her), homeless and addicted. She grew up in a pretty messed up household for sure (we were direct witnesses to how f*cked up her childhood was) but she’s also had every chance to change and take a different path with her life. Unfortunately she can not / will not take the help she’s been offered and continues to be drawn back to hood life and crime. We try to do what we can to help her and primarily, her kids without being drawn into her world directly.

It’s very hard to watch someone you care about self destruct in slow motion.

10 Likes

Nothing about this makes me feel good, and the reminder that this story (repeated endlessly in countless youtube surveillance videos like some modern folktale) gives anyone a sense of satisfaction makes me even more bummed.

5 Likes

She might even find herself some crafty lawyer that’ll convince her to draw up a suit against the homeowner.

True. But sometimes from retail stores.

I don’t feel bad for porch thieves who self-own. I do feel bad for people suffering homelessness and/or addiction, but not half as bad as I feel for their children. A social safety net would help. Not UBI, which is a scam, but a real safety net of social services including healthcare for addiction which is a disease. That said, even if available which it should be, not everyone is going to accept the help they need.

3 Likes