Portrait of Democratic Party's congressional interns

OK, I’ll post another one.

and they took heat from DONORS so they had to fix it to make the money people happy.

And if that is the case, then it still means only white Democrats were interested in attending a Ryan speech since the crowd isn’t even half as diverse as the Democratic intern pool as a whole.

There IS no way to spin this that doesn’t make Ryan and his party look bad in terms of racial diversity. Either they are doing something that has the effect of keeping people of color out, or something about their message means that people of color have no interest in joining them.

9 Likes

Fairness shines the light on truth when politics is involved.

Ryan’s district is one of the more diverse districts in Wisconsin, thanks to being within spittin’ distance of Chicago, Milwaukee, and Madison, which are all pretty diverse cities. It’s not the MOST diverse, but it’s definitely got more than 0 people of color in it (possibly more hispanics than african-americans).

It’s the region I was raised in, and it was where I was introduced to the especially pernicious idea of something being called “the ghetto” by farm brats just because more black people lived there.

8 Likes

Congrats, after eight years of an Obama Presidency you found a photo of one group of Obama supporters that doesn’t appear to include very many non-white people. Now go eat your cookie and pretend the parties are just the same on racial diversity.

17 Likes

Holy sub-groups, Batman!

3 Likes

That’s me if I take off my shirt on a sunny day. Seriously.

6 Likes

“Obama’s 2009 White House interns look much more like Ryan’s. I don’t recall you criticizing that photo.”

ou812 joined just an hour ago to make such a witty addition to the thread. Oh wait a minute, small edit; one of the words in the previous sentence should have started with an “sh” not a “w”, my bad.

12 Likes

You can see several POC on that photo actually, more than in Ryans.

5 Likes

What truth do you wish to shine a light on here? If you believe that Democrat and Republican congressional interns are equally racially diverse, you can simply say so. If you don’t believe that, then what is “unfair” about saying the truth?

14 Likes

Is that a line from Van Halen’s album?

3 Likes

The “narrative” is simply that the interns in attendance are almost all white people, and if that is a representative sampling of young GOP supporters, or of GOP interns, then that reflects poorly on the party that Ryan represents, whether he hand-selected the attendees or not.

4 Likes

I notice there are only like 5 blonde women in the Democratic pic vs like half of all the GOP women. Does this illustrate GOP selection bias, or illustrate the dumb blonde stereotype?

1 Like

15 Likes

9 Likes

Do you know what a person of color is? Do you understand what the issue was in the first place?

Protip: There’s three of them, visible, in the front row, alone, of that photo you posted, and at least 7 I can make out in a cursory, at work, glance - given that this is a side view of an incomplete crowd.

Total amount obviously visible in the Ryan selfie: 0

Auto-fail detected.

11 Likes

They think POC = black person.

And to be fair, someone here found like one POC in the Ryan pic, way in the back somewheres…

7 Likes

Even as a white male I’d rather be a democratic aide so I wouldn’t have to wear a suit and tie

2 Likes

Four total, actually;

One apparent Asian, one who could be Latino, Mediterranean or Middle Eastern, and two Black people who either look like they were trying to hide, or maybe they were shopped in.

Either way, trying to find them really was like playing a terrible version of “Where’s Waldo.”

8 Likes

I think you misread me. If there are a goodly number of young POC who apply for those internships but don’t get the gig, I seriously don’t believe it’s because they’re underqualified. My criticism is the same as Brainspore’s: the GOP doesn’t go out of its way to be particularly inclusive toward POC (and POC know this fact and aren’t interested in joining the GOP power structure), and the people that hire the interns for GOP congresscritters and senators seem to be in the habit of hiring white applicants to the near-exclusion of anyone else.

All that is the GOP’s fault, not the fault of the interns themselves. So if this summary of the racial makeup of the interns working for the GOP caucus is incorrect, the GOP caucus could release a “class photo” of all their interns, similar to the one the Dems did, and this particular issue would blow over. As I said, how hard could it be?

7 Likes