Portuguese President pre-empts Trump's aggressive handshake

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/18/portuguese-president-pre-empts.html

8 Likes

I’d like to think that Trump did try the power pull, but the Portuguese president just stood firm so Trump inadvertently pulled himself forward. Physics.

56 Likes

Well, it’s about time somebody did that! I don’t know anything about the president of Portugal, but for that, I’d vote for him if I could.

23 Likes

Wasn’t this the same man that drooled meeting Winnie the Pooh?

3 Likes

And lifted his rear half off the ground! :joy:

5 Likes

He has studied the ancient Canadian martial art of Tru-do.

40 Likes

I wonder how the Secret Service detail reacts to something like this. I’m thinking it would certainly tighten their sphincters a tad.

9 Likes

I think if another head of state makes a go at him, they have to at least let a blow land or produce a weapon. You can’t make the mistake of taking down another head of state too early, or you risk a lot of repercussions.

16 Likes

Plus, I’m sure a lot of them would have mixed feelings about intervening. It would be so nice to see your monster boss take one to the kisser.

13 Likes

Man… that ever so slight way that trump looks away when Trudeau comes up to him to shake (grabbing his shoulder there). Trump looks very uncomfortable for just s split second.

28 Likes

This is from a year and a half ago: https://www.newsweek.com/trump-met-handshake-match-portugal-president-1001112

7 Likes

Ya, but I’m fine with that cuz i didn’t hear about it then. :woman_shrugging:

26 Likes

Trudeau put his hand up to keep Trump in place. At that time Trudeau didn’t want to embarrass him, just not be Trump-yanked.

10 Likes

If only Angela Merkel’s security had been so zealous when Dubya groped her at the G8 Summit.

10 Likes

Man what I’d give to see somebody rip his arm off and beat him with it.

17 Likes

Be careful who you admire and why.

I am sure Trump has pulled this on Putin, and although Putin is only 5’3", I guarantee he won.

2 Likes

is that the yankie doddle dandy

4 Likes

It’s amusing and therapeutic at the same time

15 Likes

You can see Trumps hand goes forward so he must have been pulled.

I mean, after three years of Trump pulling this puerile shit, of course the other world leaders are well-prepared for him.

This isn’t even a “power handshake”. A normal power handshake is when the aggressor has his hand tilted so that, when you shake, his hand is on top and yours is on the bottom. Trump’s handshake is something deformed, unique to himself. I’ve never seen anyone try to pull the other person off-balance the way he does. And I don’t understand how he can be POTUS and still be doing this (he’s been doing this all his life?) Plus, why didn’t we hear about this before? It’s weird enough that SPY Magazine should’ve covered it when Trump was just a “short-fingered vulgarian” NYC developer.

9 Likes