Post Pics of Your Bookshelves

Here’s mine:

It’s mostly arranged by Library of Congress classification numbers. Interrupted by comic books near the start of the P’s (fiction). And then mostly math.

Edited to add:
Followed by three that books that are too tall for any other shelf and then magazines and odds and ends.

11 Likes

You might want to reinforce a couple of your shelves. They’re starting to sag under the weight of the awesomeness of your library.

9 Likes

IIRC it’s pretty repetitive, so you might want to skim the last 65% or so.

No pictures here, but:

Master bedroom: large bookshelf. Doors on bottom two shelves, cat-blocking hardboard piece with DIY handle blocking the next shelf (because our four-legged frenemy does not understand the value of books and loves to shred things and bring pieces of cardboard or paper onto the bed to play with). Bottom shelves are comics and graphic novels mostly; a couple of the shelves are packed full of stacks of paperbacks. Another couple dozen or so books in plastic storage bins and in dresser drawers.

Second bedroom: some integrated shelving holds knicknacks, but also Egyptology and occult books.

Kitchen table and counters: often have multiple piles of books from the library (where my spouse works) or from recent forays to used bookstores.

Living room: two cheap bookcases, one stuffed with books and the less sturdy one about half books and half knicknacks and photos.

Office/studio: one cheap bookcase stuffed with books, except for one shelf of aquarium supplies. The sawhorses that support my standing desk have shelves on them, one of which has a box of CDs and the other has two stacks of books.

Also a lot of ebooks. My spouse tends to accumulate hundreds of free ones, and I tend to be a bit more discerning but still have something like 10 of them queued up waiting to be read.

Ugh - the struggle is real to try to keep things in a sort of order, and yet have odd shaped books be forced to go where they can fit and not disrupt the “flow” of the shelf.

Where was that photo taken? It looks familiar to me.

I don’t know, there’s no attribution for it in the book so I assume it’s the author’s. I believe he is based out of Virginia.

2 Likes

Thanks for checking for me!

I found the first part of it online as a PDF, but there was no attribution or explanation there. It did say that all photos were the author’s unless otherwise marked, and that he was at Univ of Illinois (Champaign-Urbana) for grad school. I think he might have come up to Chicago to shoot.

3 Likes

Just re-read the acknowledgement section: he thanks someone for allowing him to use the basement of Mount Auburn Cemetery’s office (in Stickney, right on the western edge of Chicago) as a darkroom.

Every town has its architecture. I know mine. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

You just made a librarian’s cheeks burn red with shame.*

*In my defense I was juggling a three year old around my neck and a phone call to the insurance company.:slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

Why did I get emails alerting me of the exchange between you and @chgoliz?

1 Like

Discourse wants you to know my shame?

6 Likes

Because you were secretly interested?

Do you journal? If those are comp books at the bottom there, you’re prolific as fuck.

3 Likes

At the bottom of the last bookcase? No, those are notes from grad school. The folders are handouts, assignment and the like from the same classes. I’d really love to someday LaTeX all the notes. Or, rather, someday i’d like to have the notes already all typed up.

2 Likes

Well I am interested in everyones books. But it is weird that I go these email alerts…

ETA - I think I must have changed notifications some how - I think I have it figured out.

3 Likes

Ah, because you started the thread. That would have been weird otherwise.

2 Likes

This is what happens when two librarians with grad degrees in English marry one another – books are in every room and sometimes on the wall (and this isn’t all of them because some people are asleep and I can’t take pics). But my favorite still is the book art my sister bought us that looks like an alien, on the mantle.

8 Likes

as thread starter you have per default a “nearly everything” notification level. this can be changed with one of the blue UI thingies

okay, I should have read the thread before replying…

3 Likes

Yeah I figured that out, but it didn’t always send them to me…