Potential threat in Palin's words: "What’s the use in being a good guy?"

Originally published at: Potential threat in Palin's words: "What's the use in being a good guy?" | Boing Boing

8 Likes

You’ve never been one of the “good guys.”

31 Likes

None of the “good guys” she cites are, in fact, good guys. just more

tom cruise projector GIF

28 Likes

Sarah Palin still exists? Huh.

15 Likes

“Good”

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

18 Likes

Mike Huckabee is also cheerleading for mass violence, claiming this is the last election that’ll use ballots instead of bullets.

Buncha right-wing has-beens talking up terrorism these days, ain’t there.

24 Likes

I agree with everything she said, just that she’s not in the group of good guys. It’s exhausting being good when evil seems to get away with everything, see her and her fellows as the prime example.

9 Likes

I’m sure she thinks her son is a good guy too.

Convicted of domestic abuse and weapons charges and spent a year in confinement. DUI.

And remember the Palin family brawl?

Or the time he beat up his father?

Or this arrest?

Good people!

14 Likes

For most of my life, when a politician talked about a “good guy,” they generally meant (and often said explicitly) “law-abiding.” The people being sentenced for January 6 are, by definition, not law-abiding.

I know that ship sailed awhile ago, probably so long ago that Newt Gingrich was its captain, but still.

10 Likes

This is nothing new for Palin. Don’t forget her infamous (but deniable) “Democrats in the crosshairs” ad that included Gabby Giffords, and Palin’s slogan “Don’t retreat, reload!”.

8 Likes

Sometimes I wonder if we’d still be where we are if John McCain hadn’t made Palin his running mate.

Would Trump have won the election had Palin not normalized crazy rhetoric and attracted non-voting deplorables to the GOP?

Maybe I give her too much credit though.

9 Likes

Trump’s biggest impact seems to be that he gave permission for Republicans to just drop their masks.

Yeah, I think you’re underestimating how much of a freak-out Republicans had over a Black president. The deplorables were already there (even if Trump inspired a relatively small number of previously non-aligned white supremacists to be - active - Republicans). Something like Trump really feels like a direct, inevitable response to that, Palin or no.

17 Likes

It’s her turkey execution interview I’ll never forget.

5 Likes

12 Likes

I don’t think she normalized it. I think it was to rope in the Tea Party types and those who were already MAGA, before it was a thing.

McCain was already seen as a Rhino among far right conservatives like Rush Limbaugh.

8 Likes

I thought Sarah Palin was a leader in the Tea Party? Iirc, she gave the first keynote at their convention where she said America was ready for another revolution.

5 Likes

I think you’re both right. While it was normal for people who grew up around it, this brand of unhinged, thinly-veiled violence was really publicly let out of the bag with Palin and the Tea Party. It was nothing new to anyone who grew up evangelical. I honestly thought McCain lost the election the moment she spoke publicly, but also that it was the birth of something sinister that had been brewing for quite some time (Goldwater, Southern Strategy, Welfare Queens, Gingrich). W’s complete disregard for law kicked off a “fuck you” era that I don’t think he could even begin to comprehend, but its roots were already firmly rooted and watered by James Dobson, the Moral Majority (:roll_eyes:) and Milton Friedman.

Palin took all of that clinical, methodical and shrewd planning and slapped a yokel accent and an AR-15 on it. She was the platonic ideal of all they had worked for for decades. And honestly, I think it horrified a lot of them, but it was far too late to stop by that point.

atomic bomb explosion GIF

13 Likes

By making her his running mate, McCain normalized crazy.
He already knew of her lunatic rhetoric, but chose her anyway.

You could argue that Holy St. Reagan ‘normalized crazy’ by bringing in the Fundies, but their crazy was already normalized, for the most part.

9 Likes

Oh, he chose her because of it. It was a crazy, mavericky, high risk, high reward pick.

The man had a gambling addiction (literally).

5 Likes

If they’re no longer good guys with guns, I guess that makes them bad guys with guns?

7 Likes