(Potentially) Unpopular Opinions, Jinxes, and Horcruxes Thread

Hell yes to that! I’ve current got a 12-civ, 24 CS Immortal game and I’ve already resigned myself to the fact that the only Wonders I’ll likely build myself are the Statue of Zeus (done) and maybe the Louvre.

Fortunately, I’m playing as the Huns so building Wonders is really secondary to building a military sufficient to capture cities with Wonders.

I like playing as the Huns because when I’m denounced, I know I did something to deserve it.

4 Likes

Second umpopular opinion: multiplayer is unnecessary in most games and I would rather the resources that went into it in Civ V, where multiplayer is about who clicks first, have gone into a more robust single player environment.

ETA: Umpopular. It was a mistake, but I like it for things that are possibly popular but feel unpopular.

5 Likes

Another hell yes. The last time I played multiplayer anything was in the heyday of Warcraft 2.

ETA: Wait, yes I have. Castle Crashers. And it was an absolute blast. I guess I just like co-op multiplayer a lot more than competitive. None of that ‘let’s pwn some noobs’ crap.

4 Likes

Where I live, this is all high-speed beef facts, not opinions.

2 Likes

I believe we have a thread or two for being wrong about food. :laughing:

Both are obnoxious in their own way. I’ll take the wrongness of spaces over the wrongness of tabs, though. The inevitable cleanup is easier with spaces. Tab aficionados tend to mix some spaces in there somewhere so when I have to clean up their work later on, I’m left doing dozens of replace-alls and still missing some stray, non-standard white space I end up pulling out by hand.

[spoiler]Added an hour of work to my day yesterday or I probably wouldn’t have remembered it. They had to have been using em spaces or something because whatever the hell they were using couldn’t match my keyboard space and wasn’t a tab character either.

The code still would have worked if I’d left the white space non-standardized but what’s the point of cleaning up the data for a new function instead if you’re not going to make the data easier to make changes to later on.[/spoiler]

3 Likes
  • Science is not a valid substitute for philosophy or religion.

• Liberals that harsh on rich people they’ve never met are just as tedious as conservatives that harsh on poor people they’ve never met.

• Science that has no empirical component is not worthy of the name.

• Crabs are spiders that live underwater and feed on the flesh of dead men. The very thought of eating them is utterly revolting, plus they taste like carp sprinkled with confectioner’s sugar.

• Chocolate is meh. It adds an interesting flavor to coffee or milk in small enough quantities, and ruins otherwise perfectly good Central and South American sauces.

• If you’re an American who buys cheap plastic crap you don’t need, you are the opposite of a patriot, and you probably ought to be publicly horsewhipped. Give that money to the street bum, church, orphanage,or social movement of your choice.

• People who don’t turn off computers when they aren’t using them shouldn’t be permitted to vote, and people who actually unplug wall warts when they aren’t charging something should be considered presidential timber.

• Building codes are an abomination that leads to all housing being built to the lowest permissible standard of quality in order to protect builders from lawsuits.

• The prescription drug system is a job protection racket for an elite, mostly hereditary class of ultra-privileged hierophants, and really amounts to the criminalization of healing by people of other classes.

• Words convey information more effectively than pictures.

• Vegetables are not food. Vegetables are what food eats. It is unfortunately necessary for some people, such as myself, to supplement their food with non-food items for health reasons - but I don’t have to like it.

• vi and emacs are so similar I can’t manage a preference for either one.

You’re channeling Jesus of Nazareth again.

I’m convinced this is pseudo-science, and that any person who is not actually allergic to milk could become lactose-tolerant with the introduction of appropriate gut bacteria. (My Asian relatives were lactose-intolerant and maize-intolerant as very small children, but aren’t any more.)

Is there anyone I haven’t offended or appalled yet? I don’t want to be less than even-handed!

5 Likes

You pulled a pretty safe 33/33/33 split with me, so I praise your virtue, strongly disparage your ignorance, and half-heartedly meh to whatever else I have no opinion on. I leave 1% for margin of error.

10 Likes

I don’t see what’s wrong with a vegetarian diet. I love eating vegetarians (cows, pigs, chickens, etc.).

I’m sorry, you no longer exist to me.

6 Likes

I only see one vegetarian on that list.

7 Likes

I’ve never seen it, but I’m intrigued by a few claims I’ve heard that it’s the only one of the three that takes a genuine moral stance against the mobsters, rather than ultimately celebrating how cool they are.

1 Like

You are utterly dead to me.

MOLE FOREVER!!!

14 Likes

Chocolate (well, cocoa) is also essential in making America’s most unique and weirdly addictive chili.

6 Likes

I hate cats.

Aside from their general attitude and the fact that they scratch and damage everything in their path, they gross me the fuck out.

Look- I know they “clean themselves”, but imagine going over to the litterbox, picking up a few handfuls of used litter, really pressing your hands down into it- Then walking through your house and TOUCHING EVERY FLAT SURFACE before you wash them.

Nasty fucking creatures.

1 Like

If we are willing to condone Hillary Clinton, then Donald Trump is probably the president we deserve.

Also, I can’t stand chocolate. Tastes like filth to me, makes me gag.
1 Like

As long as you’re not one of those people who traps and murders them, or purposely swerves to hit them on the road, we can probably tolerate this severe mental disorder OUT OF PITY.

4 Likes

Your love is not required… only your obedience

10 Likes

I’m sorry for being really late to this discussion but wanted to mention that in 1985, before Star Trek: TNG John DeLancie played a psychic and inventor who built a working time machine on the soap opera Days of Our Lives. It wasn’t great science fiction–or even great fiction–but it was so bizarre it livened up an old trashy soap opera for a while. And then it went back to fairly standard soap opera normalcy so quickly that people who started watching just a year or two later think I’m making it up.

I think what happened to Castle is the result of producers realizing a certain group is watching. DeLancie’s storyline on Days was what happens to TV shows when producers think no one’s watching.

3 Likes

More like he was just repeating some Jewish standards

4 Likes

I actually somewhat remember this. It’s not that I watched soaps all that much, but Days would come on after the news and if nobody changed the channel… I also met John DeLancie once, at a sci-fi convention. It was brief, and to be honest, he was kinda cranky.

I did follow Castle and I loved the more sci-fi-ish eps, even if they stretched credulity every so often. The zombie one and the time-travel story are two of my favorites. :heart_eyes:

And here’s my attempt at an unpopular opinion: there was no season 8 of Castle. The proper ending of the show was season 7’s finale, “Hollander’s Woods.” Anything afterwards was a collective delusion, just a bad dream.

(IMHO, season 8’s separating the couple “for Castle’s safety” seemed like too much unnecessary drama and angst. I actually stopped watching completely until i heard Beckett and Castle were back together again. Even then, something just felt… off. The new showrunners weren’t getting what had made the series a fun watch and kept trying to make it an action-adventure show. Plus the lead actor and actress were feuding behind the scenes, wrecking the characters’ chemistry; the feud eventually got exposed. If there had been a year 9, Beckett would have been written out… as if you could have had that show without her, the Watson to Castle’s Holmes? Or maybe it was the other way around… Thankfully, ABC cancelled the show instead.)

Edited to remove 2nd “actually” in first paragraph, made it “also” instead. It bugged me. And I had to fix the name of the finale, I remembered it wrong.

6 Likes

13 Likes