(Potentially) Unpopular Opinions, Jinxes, and Horcruxes Thread

Weird question but… can I ask whereabouts you’re from?

I only ask because cheese is such a universally enjoyed food to most Americans, but every person I’ve known from Asia or Africa has been repulsed by it. A good friend of mine was born in Nigeria, and she’s said exactly the same thing: to her, cheese is clods of rotten milk. I’m totally fascinated by how different cultures perceive food in different ways. On the other hand, maybe you just don’t like cheese, which is also valid.

10 Likes

I said opinions. Technically those are literal objective facts. Cocoa butter does not chocolate make. Believe me, an incident involving a curious eight year old version of me and my mother’s cosmetic cream can confirm. :smile:

ETA: It’s also fucking yellow. Just saying.

18 Likes

I am perfectly fine with scalpers, and I think artists attempt to control secondary markets–even for perceived “good” reasons–is embarrassing, megalomaniacal, and insulting.

7 Likes

Oh hayl no.

6 Likes

Can confirm. Is a thing.

5 Likes

Alcohol is horrible. It’s juice/soft drink that’s gone off.

13 Likes

You’re speaking Truth-with-a-capital-T there…didn’t you read the thread rules?

6 Likes

As long as they are honest about being scalpers. If people know they’re buying from a reseller, they can make that choice, sure.

A big issue at the moment is that the big ticket agencies also run scalping services, and when you call to buy tickets, they’ll just say “tickets for Hamilton are $350” without informing you as to whether that’s the box office or brokerage price, so you have no way to know if they’re scalped or not. I’m not a fan of that practice.

8 Likes

Apple products are not intuitive or easier to use.

29 Likes

That is literally the price we pay for concepts such as First Sale. The idea that I don’t purchase a ticket, but a license to occupy a seat for two or three hours makes me supremely uncomfortable.

5 Likes

I’ve read that those from Asian cultures with no dairy in their gastronomical history feel this way about aged cheese,* too… I’ve even managed to momentarily ‘shift’ my sensory mindset and understand where they’re coming from. And then I allow my mind to snap back to my culturally biased palate because Sartori’s BellaVitano Gold is the greatest thing to happen in dairy since milk.

* Exempt from this list are fresh ‘cheeses’ like mascarpone and paneer, which are essentially just fresh, coagulated milk solids. If you don’t like these, you probably don’t like milk in general.

Also, Pavement is overrated.

13 Likes

Yet rotten fish and seafood is a okay *

* I frickan’ love fish sauce and real kimchi made with fermented seafood, almost as much as I delight in the yuck factor many Westerners get when I explain what’s in their pad Thai.

13 Likes

American cheese is a joke.
Right?

8 Likes

Ripe bananas are disgusting. Overripe bananas are Satan spunk.

10 Likes

I think Donald Trump is the perfect analogy for both the level of seriousness and the orangeness of American cheese.

18 Likes

Winter is the best season, and “snowing” is the best weather.

13 Likes

The Nigerian co-worker/friend I mentioned earlier would draw the ire of everyone in the open office floor when she’d happily warm up a tupperware container of goat meat in fish sauce with a side of kimchi – I love all those things, but oh god the smell – but she couldn’t be in the same room with someone eating cheddar cheese. [quote=“dave_b, post:53, topic:83415”]
American cheese is a joke.
[/quote]

It has three very valid uses:

• it melts really well on burgers.
  • american cheese + tortilla + 30 seconds in a pan = a happy 6 year old
  • it’s the perfect way to encase pills for quick and easy dog consumption
16 Likes

Trump’s a great guy.

1 Like

Ripe/overripe bananas are useful for baking.

3 Likes
  • IPAs are the worst beers. Let’s cover up our shit brewing by adding ALL THE HOPS!

• I actually like Barry Manilow.

• I think milk in cereal is gross and I always have. Drippy soggy breakfast, yum yum.

• I also think peanut butter & jelly are gross together, but apparently a good chunk of Europe shares this opinion.

13 Likes