Pound sinks as Britain weighs EU exit

before or after 2004?

There is no such thing as a European Citizenship.

1 Like
11 Likes

The passport in the picture is a German passport and it clearly states that European Citizenship is supplementary i.e. in addition. If you loose the primary reason for the supplement you automatically would loose the supplement, so I would think.

Pretty much the caption of this picture.

4 Likes

My argument would be that I didn’t choose to lose it, it was taken away from me against my will.

But this would be a discussion for human rights lawyers.

1 Like

What would happen to you,@jsroberts? Don’t you have some complex collection of passports in your family?

Personally, I don’t want to go back to the UK, but if I leave the US I’d quite fancy Germany or the Nordic countries, so if the UK leaves, I don’t care too much about maintaining my British citizenship. EU citizenship is worth a lot more to me.

Ed Stourton’s programme had the leader of the Democratic Unionists saying they are in favour of the UK leaving the EU. The DUP is the largest party in Northern Ireland, so it would be difficult to arrange an open border arrangement just for Northern Ireland when the main party would be against it.

I have never shown a passport in Switzerland, except on the night train from France to Italy, which goes through Switzerland, but you always have to hand in your passport / id card on a cross boarder night train.

But clearly, this is anecdotal and my memory might be deluded.

I think chances are that you would end up with at least an EEA citizenship or equivalent status. That’s not quite the same thing but enough for many purposes.

1 Like

I would guess that an exit, especially one encouraged by the DUP would be an unwelcome twist in the fragile equation that is NI politics.

1 Like

I have an Irish passport and all but one of the rest of the family has German nationality, so it shouldn’t be a huge problem. My son should be able to get German nationality eventually and an Irish passport in the meantime. Fortunately the English language is important enough that my EU translation work probably won’t be affected too much either. I’ve been thinking of applying for German nationality, but it partly depends on where we end up in the next few years.

3 Likes

I have been checked at the border between Germany and Switzerland often depending on where I cross when driving.

Most of the officials at the Swiss borders disappeared after Switzerland finalized its entry into the Schengen Agreement as I recall.

But all the infrastructure remains in the places I cross and are occasionally staffed.

1 Like

4 Likes

I must admit I don’t know which way to vote in the upcoming in/out referendum.

Problem is that the way it is being played out cameron has turned the in/out vote into more of a vote over his own party rather than europe. If you vote yes you’re essentially rubber-stamping camerons’ ‘EU reforms’ and cherrypicking policies. If you vote no the conservatives can just pass whatever laws they want without the EU. Same result no matter what you choose some might say.

I did hear somwhere btw and I am not sure how true or accurate this is but camerons’ negociations he went through might not even be legally binding! That could change the whole picture if it is true or not though as I say I’m not sure.

Some have also said if cameron gets his way over europe and the vote it could lead to the destruction of the EU in any case. The example of “reforms” and cherry-picking policies I’m sure won’t be lost on other EU countries and so their governments and populace might start to ask for the same thing – “If the british can do this and they’re not exactly entusiastic EU members why can’t we?”.

So you might have other EU countries cherry-picking as well and since the whole of the EU pretty much relies on all the countries following similar laws … well that pretty much knocks it on the head. What happens if one country (for example) follows EU law and says this but yet another EU memember state says it’s illegal? Arguments abound!

I’m guessing the UK will vote to remain in the EU but just by a small (let’s say 5-10%) margin. As for me I have no idea on how to vote. I don’t really want to vote no but then I don’t want to rubber-stamp camerons’ “reforms” either.

ljones

If you’re Scottish or Irish, you might not have to.

Only when it suits him. But money is involved here.

Kind of true, the agreement was reached with commision and council.

All deals realisable without treaty changes (i.e. only a new interpretation) are mostly fixed as it’s within the competence of the commision to decide if a member state is in violation of one of the EU treaties.

But if the treaties itself have to be changed/amended all bets are off: The European parliament was not part of the negotiation and EP president Schuz already said that he will not accept British exceptionalism.

2 Likes

That’s one of the Brexit scenarios: the Scottish voting again for independence with the additional issue that they’re prefer to be part of the EU more than they’d prefer being part of the UK.

4 Likes

The outside perspective on the british tantrum summed up:

“Look at me I’m special. Hey guy plz look at me 'cause I’m special. LOOK ME SPECIAL!”

Can’t wait for the British to vote themselves out of the EU.

The UK got more exceptions to the rules / regulations / contributions (one example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_rebate) than any other country in the EU. For decades different UK governments blocked important decisions to reform the EU out of fear for their sovereignty all the while licking the boots of the USA. Now the conservatives decry the EU administration and decision making process as flawed, inefficient and slow - but it was their blockade attitude that got us to this point by hindering or diluting every important reform.

The UK is a nation sitting on the fence, cherry picking only the benefits of the EU and blockading everything else. The EU doesn’t need the UK but the UK needs the EU. Good riddance - we’ll see how the UK fares as isolated country.

7 Likes