Prefilled Communion Cups with Wafers - Box of 500

Dunno. I mostly learned about Evolution and why Anglicans suck. But my priest was openly gay, and there were still an awful lot of nuns hanging around. So at this point I’m not entirely sure it wasn’t a satanist coven.

9 Likes

They’re $20 cheaper and eligible for Prime delivery on Amazon. Just in case you realize you’re out early Thursday morning.

2 Likes

No. These emblems are for Protestants who do not believe in transubstantiation. The bread stays as bread and the “wine” stays as 100% grape juice.

I mostly learned about Evolution and why Anglicans suck.

Er, isn’t Episcopalianism just what Americans call Anglicanism?

2 Likes

Fact will not hinder me making a cheap joke : P

2 Likes

I actually bought a box of 100 of these for a goof. They’re not terrible.

Save the unused ones for later? I presume that they mean the ones that have NOT yet been transubstianted…because I was under the impression that those are all supposed to be consumed on the spot, every crumb and every drop to prevent something inappropriate happening to the body and blood of Christ. Now I’m picturing a children’s story about a mouse that eats a crumb of wafer and becomes infused with the holy spirit…
edited to add…well I was wrong…see the comments…

When I went to Church, there was a locked box behind the altar where they kept the unconsumed, transubstantiated wafers, for use in the next mass. However, every crumb from the communion bowls was wiped into the chalice holding the sacramental wine, and the priest would drink every drop of that.

2 Likes

Band Name!

and that!

Album name

Album name

Album name

Band Name and Album Name

[quote=“pjcamp, post:57, topic:78352”]
Jesus Pods. Holy Landfill![/quote]

Band Name and Album Name

Album Name!

Thank you, Lord, for this our daily thread.

15 Likes

And non-Eastern Orthodox.

Hell, I was only an altar boy because we had access to the wine (plus it was something to do during those long liturgies.)

Yup. I remember when I found out Catholics got little crackers I thought it was weird, but then my Catholic friends always look ill when I describe how it’s done in the Orthodox Church. The priest has to pour some hot water into the wine too, so it’s warm, like actual “blood of Christ.”

3 Likes

Which is fascinating, when you think about it, because there’s no reason to assume the blood of Christ would go bad but the body wouldn’t…it’s only if you recognize that it’s really crackers and wine/juice that you would treat those two substances according to their physical chemistry instead.

1 Like

Not true–Wine is provided to Catholics during Communion. as well. It’s optional (you can skip past the person with the wine cup), but it’s offered.
Source: I’m Catholic.

1 Like

A similar debate exists with Passover matzo- there is a requirement to eat matzo during the Seder, and it’s almost always made with wheat. On the other hand, there is a gluten-free alternative (oats) that may meet the requirements.

1 Like

Speaking of divine mysteries, anyone searching for miracles in this godless age may take note of the fact that BB is mentioning and linking to a product without any sort of affiliate program or (we may take on faith) other quid pro quo.

By the by, not that it will spoil anyone’s fun, but if there’s a sect or denomination out there that holds that the wine and wafer literally (literally, literally, LITERALLY) becomes the body and blood of anyone, much less Christ, then I’m not aware of it. As usual, “literally” here means “not at all literally, but the other thing, figuratively, in rhetorical and non-physical and metaphorical ways perhaps, but not literally.”

Such marketing bullshit. All Jesuses are already gluten free.

Wake up Sheeple!

Or " Christables"… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

By ‘Eastern Rite,’ I actually meant specifically Eastern Rite Catholics, who base a lot of their aesthetics and ritual off of Orthodoxy, as that’s the only time I encountered it. I’ve been to a few Orthodox services, but never ones where the Eucharist was done, so I couldn’t speak first-hand to that.

How about asparagus liquor? Tasted it once.

1 Like

No there’s actually a formal division there. While it is (mostly) the American body of the Anglican Church, there’s a certain level of division, and some significant differences. Specifically around the time of the American Revolution the church ditched any and all connections (religious or otherwise) to the English monarchy. They maintain themselves pretty much independently of Anglican structures, and often take opposing political and theological positions from the rest of Anglicanism.

There’s also this weird division with in Anglicanism as a whole. There’s an Anglo-Catholic tradition that views the church(es) as a direct outgrowth and continuation of Catholicism, and so takes a lot of liturgical and theological basis from the Catholic Church. And then there’s a Protestant tradition that views itself as an entirely protestant faith and nested within the traditions of mainline Protestantism. The Protestant wing is (from what I can tell) the more dominant strain in Anglican Churches (particularly Ireland where a lot of noise is made about the Church being too Catholic). And has traditionally been (in Europe) the more liberal (politically and theologically) part of the Church, with the Anglo Catholics being pretty rigidly traditionalist and hard line.

But it gets weirder. In the US Anglo-Catholics are the dominant strain. To the point where the church is often described as “Catholic Lite” and “Protestant, yet Catholic”. You see the Anglicans, and Church of England specifically are far more conservative over all than the Episcopalian Church. So your protestant rite Episcopalians tends to be the more conservative congregations here. They’re all about deference too, ties to, and being effectively run by the Anglican structures over in Europe. Where as the Episcopalian Church as a whole, with its Anglo-Catholic bias. Is pretty much all about running itself, while viewing the Arch Bishop of Canterbury and the Pope as equally important (which is apparently not very important, basically figure heads). So we weren’t supposed to be fond of Anglicans. Because they didn’t want us to have those gay priests, Catholic features, or be involved in all the crazy ecumenical stuff the Episcopalian church sees as central. We shared clergy with Lutherans, Presbyterians, and sometimes even Catholics (hence the nuns). And frequently had visiting Rabbis, Imams, Atheists give the sermons. And studied a hell of a lot of non-biblical sources as critically important for theological discussion. I wasn’t lying about learning about evolution at church. Before my public school had gotten to it our Priest actually sat all the Sunday school kids down and taught a pretty good little science lesson about it. And we later had a biology professor from the local university as a Sunday School teacher. I am (and was at the time) an Atheist, but I still think it was all pretty cool.

It gets weirder though. Cause there are Episcopalian churches in other parts of the world now. And a scattered amount of Anglican Churches in the US. Some of those are part of the Episcopalian Church, and just use the other name. But some of them are directly connected to Anglican bodies in other countries. Seem to mostly be more modern churches for Immigrant/expat communities. Frankly I think on a long enough time line, if the political disputes continue, you’ll see a total separation. The two bodies are almost entirely independent of one another already.

3 Likes

Asparagus liquor does not sound tasty. But, the description in the link is interesting. I’d try it, if I had the chance.