Presence of bodybuilders convinces illegally-parked motorists to comply gracefully

I think what he’s getting at is in many cases, the corruption is so bad that the public finds itself having to organize and take matters into its own hands.
Respectfully, I think that’s the point you’re willfully ignoring.

9 Likes

I got that point and wasn’t ignoring it…I recognize one evil is lesser than the other; however, its still not right or ok.

1 Like

I think it’s possible to be both simultaneously… like finding out that your ugly blind date was a misunderstanding and really was meant for the person sitting next to you.

2 Likes

Let’s get this straight: It’s bad for people to stand up against bad (and illegal and dangerous) behavior when it’s unenforced by the authorities? We’ll have to disagree about that.

6 Likes

Ok, next time you see someone jaywalking; feel free to stop them screaming “CITIZEN’S ARREST” and harm their property in the process. Let me know how much bail was for you.

Or, you know, we could retain some sense of proportionality and go with a verbal dressing-down of the jaywalkers; while reserving windshield stickers for people risking mowing down pedestrians by driving on the sidewalk? Either way works for me.

7 Likes

Again…in the case of ya know…the law…two wrongs don’t make a right. So while the person parking illegally is a total DB (which I expressly stated), vandalizing their property is also against the law. Person A: gets fined for said moving violation…Person B ALSO gets fined for vandalism/destruction of property.

If you don’t get that both things are wrong, We’ll have to disagree about that.

What do some of those luxury cars weigh? The best part of 2 ton? Trying to lift those isn’t gonna go so well.

1 Like

You need a stick of Mentos to make it work.

8 Likes

I feel like you are saying that you recognize that the public may have to organize to take action if the law enforcement establishment is badly corrupt (you weren’t ignoring that point), and that this is the lesser evil (than the public doing nothing and no enforcement happening?) but that it’s still not right.

I don’t think I understand. What are the two evils, which one is lesser and what does it mean to say that people who are choosing the lesser of two evils are doing something that is not ok?

3 Likes

Evil one: DB’s doing illegal things in their vehicles.
Evil two: People vandalizing the wrong-doers vehicles with stickers and such (this was in the additional videos on youtube from this group).

I get the point and understand that sometimes good people want to try to stand up to the wrong-doers and stop them/deter them…but some of the actions of the “good guys” are also illegal and wrong.

I’d be more apt to fixing the issue of corrupt or non existent police force before taking the law into my own hands personally speaking.

Fun to argue, but maybe listen to this folk song about Russian roads first:

I wish that there’s at least an alternate timeline Russia where things didn’t always get worse.

1 Like

10 Likes

In the given context, there is effectively no law. It’s unenforced, or selectively enforced at best. That leaves the people who are affected by the DB to do something about it. In the case of windshield stickers, they aren’t doing permanent damage to the vehicle. The vandalism (and it barely qualifies as that) wouldn’t be necessary with even a moderate effort by authorities to enforce the law.

I know why I’m taking the position I am: I was raised to respect but also question authority, to speak up when I see people taking advantage of others, and to take action when necessary to stand up to assholes. I know better than to leave it to authority to solve my problems. That’s a long wait for a train don’t come.

In the context, I see two ways this plays out. One, the DBs abuse their privilege and some people take minor, almost symbolic steps to hinder and/or ridicule them. Two, the DBs do what they please and no one tries to stop them. In my worldview, that’s the scenario with two wrongs.

6 Likes

Again you said it. We can agree to disagree. Regardless of your interpretation that what the dude bros in the videos are doing is minor. It is still wrong. Slapping a giant sticker on someone else’s property is (at least where I live) vandalism. You seem to be ignoring my statement that what these guys are standing up to are clearly DBs breaking the law themselves. If you think it is perfectly acceptable for people who see others breaking the law to stand up to said people by breaking the law themselves. Enjoy that. Let me know how it works out for you.

The Хам in СтопХам means “lout” or “cad” or “rude person.”

5 Likes

Thanks. I assumed it was something like that.

2 Likes

Mentos make everything work! :+1:

2 Likes

Would Altoids work? They’re curiously strong.

5 Likes

But things are FINE in Russia… Oliver Stone said so! /s

Never mind those protests today… Surely that was just all those CIA-funded NGOs who are just out to destroy Russia! /s

7 Likes