Presence of bodybuilders convinces illegally-parked motorists to comply gracefully

I completely agree. But I have to admit, in the currency of YouTube, it’s YouTube gold.

2 Likes

I thought it was George Soros. It’s getting complicated in here.

3 Likes

Powerful point. All it would take is one driver with legit connections and these guys might never be seen from again. They are seriously brave, and maybe just a bit cracked.

2 Likes

*lolz

That image is so getting swiped for future use; thanks.

4 Likes

two wrongs make a right in your view.

Depends on the scale of the first wrong. I’d gladly support anyone who’d build a time machine to go kick in Stalin’s mustache

4 Likes

Which reminds me of the old joke: things are getting better in Russia. They’re not as good as yesterday, but better than tomorrow.

I wonder if he was trying to obliquely reference that?

3 Likes

Are you thinking of a concrete action that these people could take to address that issue?

I think actions like this are what fix the issue of corrupt or non existent police. If this group gets public support for what they are doing then they create a situation where the officials either have to start enforcing the law; arrest the members of the group (martyring them); or abdicate power (which they won’t do).

3 Likes

We can disagree on this. I happen to love Batman. One of my favorite superheroes hands down. But in reality, vigilante justice is wrought with issues.

Do they know the actual laws and statutes?
Do they have the authority to act on punishment?
Are their actions criminal as well?
Are they going to deescalate a situation, or will it potentially compound it?
Who is responsible if further and more serious crimes happen as a result of this?

I get it. I do not like what the DB drivers are doing anymore than anyone else; however, this isn’t a case of “My house is on fire and the Fire Department hasn’t showed up, so my neighbors helped me put out the fire and save my home”.

Sometimes a slippery slope can actually be a slippery slope…and this falls into that category. Too many people in this thread are defending the actions of this group who are committing a crime in and of itself. Both sides are wrong. One side is far and away MORE wrong, and I do find satisfaction in what the “good guys” are doing here; however, I can also not think its the best solution to the problem.

Related videos have an excellent collection. Here is one with a wrestler, conveniently time point linked for your enjoyment.

And here is one where the activists run up against an MMA fighter. Spoiler: The video wraps up with him apologizing profusely on camera.

I do enjoy how for the most part the activists are unfailingly polite. Of course they’re prepared and know they’re on camera, but still.

If you get a good bounce going on the car, even puny weaklings can move em too.

I know the scenario isn’t quite the same, but I wonder where we’d be if the colonies had sat on their hands instead of wresting control from Britain?

"I don’t like what’s going on, but I’m supposed to always obey a British officer, sooooooo…":confused:

1 Like

Gee, I dunno… Let’s ask Canada?

2 Likes

But “vigilante” justice is the name we give to justice that is exercised by individuals with no legal authority to do so within a system where there is an actual legal recourse. People taking matters into their own hands to right wrongs, especially in groups, was a precursor to laws and justice systems. Obviously if the government had literally collapsed and there were no police at all, people organizing to deal with crime would be necessary (even though that system is far, far worse than the kind of good justice system we aspire to).

So you see this as a slope going down from a country of laws to a country of vigilantes. I see it as a step going up from a system that has become corrupt enough that justice has collapsed to a rudimentary form of justice taking grips. I think which of us is right depends on how broken a state the current system is in. And on that I’m happy to agree to disagree.

Yeah, I had written a post talking about union violence leading to labour laws and then walked that back as too extreme. I think that justice sometimes comes about because it’s the only option that people in power have left.

Sort of. But to what extent was Britain’s relationship with Canada guided by the knowledge that if you don’t let people determine their own fate they eventually decide to determine their own fate anyway.

3 Likes

Seriously, has Soros made positive noises about Putin? This Olive Stone Love fest seems to come straight out of Stone’s sense of not trusting anything the US government does ever.

2 Likes

I think he’s trying to lick the asshole of an autocrat, actually.

3 Likes

Clicked though to not be surprised this was Moscow.

That place leads the world in asshole entitled prick drivers.

No no I was joking. Soros is probably working on something, I don’t follow his daily activities, but he just makes such a great punchline!

3 Likes

OH! Sorry.

Yeah, the GOP/alt-right thinks he all powerful or something.

3 Likes

I expect it’s pretty much impossible to give a clear-cut answer to that question, what with history being a ball of wibbly wobbly, timey-wimey stuff. But given that Canada was granted responsible government ten years after the Upper and Lower Canada rebellions (1837-38), the transfer of power, while certainly aided by the threat of insurrection, was more peaceful and bilateral than it was in the case of the US.

3 Likes