President Biden's wit is quick enough to rip on Peter Doocy

Anyone remember anything anyone did as VP, other than silly shit or gaffs? No. Because the nature of the VP is to be a representative of the administration and help carry out their policies, not to outshine the president…

No, because she’s done her job.

Exactly. If people actually dig deeper, they’ll see she’s been all over the world, doing the work of the administration that Biden sets. She’s doing fine, probably far more than Pence, in fact.

but once again, Black women are being held to a higher standard than everyone else.

6 Likes

From where I am sitting (Swedish citizen in Sweden) Biden seems like a rather good president.

The inflation reduction act has done a lot for the transition to a less fossil based and climate harming economy. It has also led to a revival of industrial policy in the democratic countries.

He has supported Ukraine in their struggle against facist-ruled Russia. He hasn’t started any wars.

He supports the unions, a support that can mean something for workers globally. International solidarity and all that.

His administration has started to revive the anti-trust legislation in the US. Which is very good for the world. Remember: Linda Khan scares the oligarchs.

And so on and so forth.

7 Likes

In a normal administration, you aren’t supposed to remember the VP.

6 Likes

I remember Spiro Agnew and his shenanigans (suspicion of criminal conspiracy, bribery, extortion, and tax fraud). Yes kids, he resigned because of this.

3 Likes

Well TBF, I do remember Darth Chaney lording it over Preznit Shrub, in order to funnel megamillions to his war-profits corporation. Not exactly silly shit.

4 Likes

Agreed, but I think that was a pretty big deviation from the norm (at least in the modern era)? I can’t think of another modern VP having that much obvious and public input into the direction of another administration, really. They might have behind the scenes, but not in public like Cheney. Probably the exception that proves the rule…

So, the expectations that Harris should be out and vocal seems very much holding her to a very different standard of the string of white dudes that went before her…

And I guess people remember when they do dumb shit? Remember potatoe-gate! Or pearl clutching over Murphy Brown by Quail (Quayle??)? Now do we remember anything else he actually did?

1 Like

When Biden himself was Obama’s VP he was mostly visible when he was quoted saying something off the cuff. He would comment on things that Obama couldn’t say anything about without riling up the racists and take the brunt of the pushback by being “crazy uncle Joe”. I’m sure if Harris was a problem in any way she would by now know it was time for the “working on further opportunities” speech. If she isn’t, keeping a woman of color in the office instead of replacing her with another white guy is the right thing to do, and there is ample evidence that she is doing the job well.

5 Likes

Bush the Elder chaired the special task forces on deregulation and on international drug smuggling while he was VP. Low key, but impactful.
Highest achievement as VP: claiming successful that he was “out of the loop” regarding the whole Iran-Contra thing. But hey, if a former head of the CIA can’t deny something plausible, who can?

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.