Prime Minister Boris Johnson clings on: 211 vs 141 Conservative MPs back him in confidence motion

Fantastic! I can be there shortly - now where are you?

3 Likes

Look! Over here! I’m waving! Hey! Over here!

3 Likes

Actually, I fear that the 2012 Olympics was an under-recognised symptom of the prion disease. We (meaning “the English” - and I am English*) succumbed to nostalgia (with a side order of exceptionalism) long ago, and that exemplified it, much as I adored the experience at the time (and, to be honest, still do!)
Once it became clear in 2014 that >40% of the Scots had soured on the relationship, and the Tory party was willing to overtly embrace the racists (who previously had been split between Tory and Labour), the writing was on the wall. The Brexit result wasn’t a huge surprise (although I confess I thought it would be 52/48 the other way which wouldn’t have been so bad economically but would have been just as bad politically) but again that was merely a symptom of a system that was probably holed below the waterline some time last century and has now reached the “groaning girders” stage that happens just before it snaps in half and sinks to the bottom.
And it’s probably not salvagable because Labour cannot afford to be radical - or, rather, they think they can’t afford to be, in the same way they didn’t in 1997 because history shows us that it usually takes war or revolution for a country to face up to being as lost in the past as we currently are.
And now, some music.

*although on the census form I filled out my nationality as being English, British and European.

6 Likes

Radical Labour should be doing well up in the Red Wall (and did in 2017), but because the press hate anything that looks like nationalisation and taxes Labour runs away scared. From there it was an easy job for the Tories to tell them that Labour offers them nothing but they will fight the culture wars for them.

It doesn’t help that we have Starmer, Mandelson and Blair constantly trying to move to the right and genuinely offering them nothing but culture wars in an attempt to regain those votes. Several groups have disaffiliated from Labour as a result of the bigotry against them.

6 Likes

Big celebration party at 10 Downing Street. Everyone is invited!

2 Likes

clings on

Because he’s a shit-stain.

I heard that they’ve got plenty of booze.

Sorry, they got plenty of boos.

8 Likes

Come to Australia. We just kicked out our Tories (Liberal Party) and we even speak something like English

3 Likes

The media seem very excited about Boris Johnson not being Prime Minister anymore

The only problem is everybody already knew he was terrible, there’s no more dirt to dig up, and he’s not going anywhere any time soon

I do wish they’d solve the import/export problem. We’ve stopped shipping our wine to the UK because of taxes, shipping, and handling issues. It hasn’t affected us much, even with the additional loss of the Russian market-- our local co-op made a deal to sell everything we make to the Americans for their Costco superstore. But we’d like to be able to sell our estate-bottled wine to you folks, we’ve got more of it than we can get rid of, and it looks like another bumper crop this year. We’ve been trading a lot of it to other wineries to build up our cellar, and selling some more to the guests at my sister’s auberge. But it doesn’t look like we’re going to finish our tasting room by the summer tourist rush, so we’re going to have a lot left over.

5 Likes

Saw this in a Soho phone box back in 2017 even before he was Prime Minister, but it’s still relevant (possibly even more so now):

Google Photos

(For those not familiar with them, Soho phone boxes are prime real-estate for sex-workers advertising their services. This card imitates their style perfectly.)

8 Likes

All of the above.

1 Like

I have a strong suspicion that a certain amount of blackmail was involved. These are not nice people and many will have skeletons in the closet. De Pfeffel or his minions know where the bodies are buried.

2 Likes

To truly understand the vote requires knowing that MPs who are in the cabinet or have another government appointment from Johnson, MUST vote for him or resign their appointment.

So….

160 HAD to vote for him.

51 CHOSE to vote for him

148 CHOSE to vote against him.

Those Tory MPs free to choose voted 3:1 against Johnson.

5 Likes

I would remind you that Blunt also rhymes with Hunt.
And he is.

This. I don’t understand the clamour for him to resign, only to be replaced by someone competent, likeable and electable. Surely Johnson is Labour’s best chance of getting elected.

They don’t have anyone competent, likeable or effective. Not that that seems to deter them, or the electorate, depressingly.

4 Likes

I didn’t say he was good, he’s a eurosceptic libertarian-capitalist, but he is a rarity in the Conservative party in that he would vote against stripping trans people of their rights. We might finally get legalised cannabis too.

I could just about tolerate two years of him, although the edibles will help with that.

2 Likes

Considering that Sir Keith is working hard at alienating the left, I would agree with that. GRT and trans people are abandoning the party over their bigotry.

2 Likes

I was going to say that’s unfair to those MPs but then I remembered that you are talking about the Conservative party so third-rate MPs are in fact the cream of the crop. Carry on.

1 Like