Prime Minister's Brexit plan defeated by 230 votes

Absolutely.
No time for another referendum.
Corbyn wants hard Brexit himself but doesn’t have the nerve to openly betray his supporters.
Tusk has said in many unsubtle ways we can cancel Brexit all the way up to the “zero hour”.

He’s right— we should rescind article 50 (which would take two bills to do, BTW), but nobody will like doing this without a referendum. Not least because the media keeps selling that false hope.

4 Likes

What was wrong with the original referendum question?

“Would you like us to tear down your house, and build a new house that will be more successful and will be the right size and the right color of paint (to be agreed on later)?”

3 Likes

I thought it was;

“Would you like to call 27 European states names, say you don’t want to play, realise they have the football, demand they let you be Captain and then blame immigrants when they don’t let you back on the pitch?”

Or

“Remain in the EU.”

13 Likes

You know, at this point I have to ask myself “do I even want you back if you decide to take it all back?”. Honestly I’m no longer sure after this omnishambles of a clusterfuck. I really don’t know.

3 Likes

Only if you can specify that the user was not a certain Russian.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.

This is a sensitive issue to me, so maybe I jumped on your comment.

Yes, if Tony Blair, or any vaguely competent bureaucrat (Gordon Brown, John Smith, Neil Kinnock) had been the leader of the Labour Party this whole issue would have gone very differently.

I stopped thinking of Jeremy Corbyn as a serious person when I read his comments on Venezuela. Since then his inexplicable bungling on this issue has harmed the labour party, the UK, Europe, and the World. Sometimes I even wonder if Putin has kompromat on him as well as on Trump, McConnell, and others

3 Likes

Westminster voted for Brexit at basically every stage. The important ones are that they voted to hold the referendum, and after the referendum they voted to empower the PM to trigger Article 50.

7 Likes

I’m sorry sir; all sales are final.

7 Likes

This should obviously be settled once and for all via some sort of Fortnite battle.

Head-to-head dab battle! In the middle of parliament!

Just hours upon hours of May and Corbin angrily dabbing at each other from across the aisle!

First one to collapse from exhaustion loses and resigns in disgrace!
Winner gets the opportunity to take all of the blame for the massive fuckup that is Brexit!

Sponsored by BRAWDO!

4 Likes

White nationalists who support Donald vehemently oppose abolishing the electoral college and insist on maintaining our patriarchal representative/republican system yet now demand the direct democracy/referendum Brexit vote be implemented.drama5

4 Likes

Unfair. We’ve seen her dance already.

2 Likes

Which is to some capacity what Britain actually had before.

9 Likes

But he was - for all his horrendous faults (I also would not piss on him if he were on fire) - a lot more competent as a politician, than Corbyn.

8 Likes

Not entirely switched off - just want it done and over. Even remainers (well, not remainers, but some people who voted remain) seem to just want it over even if the only way is Brexit. I’ve heard several saying “I voted remain but I just want the ‘will of the people Brexit’ done now” They are the most dangerous and unpredictable voting block in any 2nd referendum.

6 Likes

Sociopaths make good politicians.
(Definitions of good may vary.)

7 Likes

Wow. I’ve been correctly parsing both of these definitions for years, and I’ve never noticed the contradiction. Brains are incredibly adaptive. And weird. Thanks!

1 Like

That final part is why i think a ‘Corbyn brexit’ is the worst of all worlds.
It’ll allow the Tories to broadly get the brexit they want, but also be gifted with the opportunity to blame every single negative of brexit onto labour, without lying for once, and they’ll have the full force of the UK media to do so.

It’d take an utter miracle just to stand still with regards to the economy under such a situation, even with Corbyn’s admittedly much better proposals.

Add in the fact that any form of brexit will likely break the union. (Scotland will be gone, likely NI too, probably Gibraltar and there’s probably others too) which, labour would also (and not particuarly unjustifiably) get the blame for.

Just left dazzled by the sheer magnitude of the idiocy really. The only thing worse than a Tory brexit is a labour one that owns all the epic negatives and lets the Tories go scott-free to win the next election :confused:

12 Likes

Scot-free, literally: free of Scots, who will have voted to secede.

14 Likes

Haha, nice :smiley:

Just used an ingrained social phrase, but the literal application works too.

2 Likes

Casual question: even though we have Donald Trump, America is not moving itself from the European Union. The chaos created by this should make the pound worth a lot less.

So why is it the pound is still worth more than the dollar? This farcical political ceremony should have tanked the currency some by now.

1 Like