Private school in Miami will not allow their teachers to be vaccinated

While that’s bad for the teachers, this school really doesn’t sound like the sort of place anyone should work anyway. Or even walk into.

5 Likes

Well, that seems like tuition money well spent.

1 Like

May I suggest a new school uniform?

16 Likes

You get all the hand clapping GIFs. All of them.

2 Likes

I suspect that with such a completely ridiculous policy, anyone who is either fired or denied a refund of tuition will be able to sue for compensatory and punitive damages. Expect this “school” to go bankrupt in the near future.

3 Likes

it can’t be said often enough.

2 Likes

The test developed by witchhunters!

1 Like

Except according to the school’s website, they appeal to the recklessly stupid parents. The school goes out of their way to look for vaccine exceptions for students. They are literally the private school for plague spreaders

20 Likes

the biggest simplification here is that you’re comparing the number of people vaccinated on one side, with the whole number of people in the us - including uninfected and never exposed.

so you’re really not looking at likelihood, you’re just looking at totals.

i don’t think the likelihood of catching covid or of dying from it can even really be extracted from those numbers - especially because of all the mitigation work, like masking, stay at home orders, and vaccinations have worked to decreased our chances of exposure

( the easier likelihood to calculate would be risk of death if you catch covid by comparing to total infection numbers )

your bigger point of course is spot on - the numbers work against them even if their facts were right, and they are not.

[ edit: fwiw, according to wikipedia, the current us case fatality rate not accounting for age is 1.8%… so that’d be a better rate to compare against theirs. though it will fall as people get vaccinated, because vaccination reduces disease severity. thank goodness. ]

3 Likes

Yeah, pro tip: if your school requires you to sign an NDA or anti-disparagement agreement, you really need to reconsider.

13 Likes

14 Likes

So the conservative mega-doner who owns the for-profit school says:

1. Organizations can demand proof of vaccination status ( a vaccination passport)
  2. they assert the right to deny services, entry or employment based on vaccination status.

That works for me. Of course, we’ll operate in the other direction for airlines and public schools and sports stadiums. The school can keep out the vaccinated, all others can keep out the unvaccinated.
To quote the monster from Men in Black:
“your proposal is acceptable”

2 Likes

You cannot subtract the uninfected and “never exposed” from the chances of dying from covid, because getting exposed, and infected is part of the process of dying from it. Your chance of dying from it includes your chances of getting exposed and infected.

3 Likes

Hey, Barbara Loe Fisher is an expert; she has a BA in English.
Oh, I see, that’s why this particular school references her organization’s expertise. /s

2 Likes

People gotta eat. And some of them may want to teach but be unqualified to teach in a actual school. But yeah, I’m guessing that if you haven’t been drinking from the same well of stupid, plenty of other policies would make you desperate to work somewhere else. I’d bet that this is not the first crazypants policy by this school.

3 Likes

What would they do if a parent and their kids were vaccinated and the school was made aware of the fact? Would they kick the kids out of school and try to keep the tuition? Any person that can afford to cough up $30K+ per annum for tuition can easily afford to hire a really predatory lawyer to make life miserable for the school.

4 Likes

I can’t imagine any parent with the common sense of getting themselves and their kids vaccinated even wanting to send their kids to that school in the first place.

5 Likes

exactly. as i said:

the true risk changes daily based on the number of people infected in your region, the public protections or lack there of, the number of people vaccinated around you… risk for a particular individual is very difficult to calculate.

that’s why it’s not really a number that’s batted around. the best we can do is risk of death if you are infected, decrease in average age of life expectancy, and the like.

3 Likes

Out of all the private schools out there, this one appeals to parents who don’t vaccinate their kids. Its even advertised on their site (see above).

1 Like

I think the other thing is that if it continues to spread unabated and without the vaccines, the odds are that the vast majority of everyone would get it eventually. And with the way this one works, you’re not immune to it forever once you get it, you can get it again and again until it does kill you (or you die of something else).

And you know, I’d be willing to just write off everyone too dumb to get the vaccine, but the problem is the longer this virus is in circulation, the more of a chance there is that it will mutate into something that the vaccines don’t protect against. Not to mention all the people who would love to get the vaccine but can’t due to actual, real medical reasons that we need to protect too.

7 Likes