Problem cop in Polk County exposed by own bodycam

They say Cassandra was cursed so that no one would heed her, but I think that people just didn’t want to believe that bad shit was coming for them.

Also, great painting.

3 Likes

One of the many things that should bother us about this video is that at the end it is stated that if a judge finds that your constitutional rights were violated, the case will be thrown out; nothing about any repercussions for the armed thug that violated them.

2 Likes

Not totally correct.

‘Shake’ is the remnants of a bag of pot; the tiny particles, flakes and residual crystals that fall off the buds when handled.

It’s stoner slang, and like all slang, its been appropriated and misused.

There are even songs that reference getting ‘a sack’ which is a rip-off, because it consists of mostly “seeds, stems and shake.”

4 Likes

There’s pretty much only one area of Des Moines where black people have historically lived, and it’s around the Drake University campus. Imagine my lack of surprise as the video begins, and the police cruiser is driving through the park next to the river and heading toward…Drake.

Oh, Iowa, how I do not miss thee.

3 Likes

I’m thinking the rest of the time.

Even I get nervous around police, and I’m as white as our Canadian snow. A person of colour has every right to fear for their lives around the average American cop. That entire recording just serves to show what a unbelievably racist piece of shit that cop is.

3 Likes

I’m often surprised that PoCs in the US aren’t significantly angrier about the situation.

I’m thinking the rest of the time.

giphy

5 Likes

Obviously, the cop-fuck knows the body cam is “rolling”, so I think his routine is to 1) get Montray and Jared (who have every reason in the world to get demonstrably angry)… angry, and from there get (at least!) a beat down; and 2) play things just “right” (in cop world) for the body cam to capture just how he reasonable he was and how justified he was with any beat down.

3 Likes

Yeah, that does sound plausible… ugh.

2 Likes

This cop is a lying asshole and enjoys the power he now has with being on the force. Every police department should use body cams and make their use mandatory. No video means no arrest. This would cut down on a lot of bullshit arrests, lies, and unjust prosecutions. Without the body cam, these men could have been arrested and charged with whatever this asshole wants to makeup. To make it worse, his partner would have backed up every lie he told. I know. I’ve been through it.
Every school in the US should instruct all students about our civil rights that are given to us by the Constitution as well as what they guarantee us and how to insure that they are protected. Everyone should theoretically know how to handle a traffic stop by being polite , like these men were doing , but at the same time not agreeing to give up any of your rights. Everyone reading this should google The Bill of Rights to the Constution and read it. Most people are amazed at what was written years ago for our protection. It works even better if we know these laws at the times we need them.

1 Like

WTF? How can people honestly be saying there was no reason for the stop? Did you not watch the video?

0:19 seconds in, car makes a left hand turn with no turn signal at all. That’s a traffic violation, and it appears that is what got him in trouble. You can see the police cruiser fails to make a complete stop at that stop sign, which indicates that he was already about to pull the car over.

0:50 seconds in, the car appears to fail to make a full stop, and again fails to indicate a left hand turn 250 feet before the intersection. That’s definitely a second traffic violation, and possibly a third if the car didn’t make a complete stop for 2 seconds.

After the stop, they were found to be transporting an open container with alcohol. That’s a misdemeanor.

If you want to complain, then at least pick a video that actually shows it, but this definitely wasn’t it.

Perhaps you didn’t catch the posting verbiage.
" Polk County, Iowa—Des Moines—is 4.84% black and 88.34% white. But a community group there claims that of one police officer’s 282 traffic stops and bookings, 100% of the drivers were black and 0 percent white."
Bold is my addition. That’s what this is about. Not a minor infraction of traffic laws.

9 Likes

Holy fuck dude. Did you watch that with the audio turned off? The entire line of questioning that the officer started in with: “Is this your car?” “What were you doing at the park?” “This is your car?” “How do you start it?” Didn’t have a damn thing to do with failure to signal.

11 Likes

Please, please, I’m sure the officer asked the entire zero percent of the white driving population he pulled over the exact same line questions about auto theft, drug possession and weapons possession, all while saying for the camera that he was afraid, to justify any later shootings or beat downs of the people pulled over.

/s

8 Likes

Then show body cam footage from one of the 282 traffic stops that had no justifiable cause for a stop, and where they weren’t committing misdemeanor offenses. Or are there none? Is this really the best video out of all 282 to show how that police officer isn’t doing his job and has something to do with race?

Is there an official guideline for how “pristine” evidence of misconduct needs to be?

9 Likes

Welcome to boing boing, totally non-suspicious new member.

12 Likes

So, only POC are traffic scofflaws? Whites never do anything wrong. The video is self explanatory, but if you stick around, I’m sure this subject will come up again and again and again, until someone does something about racist pigs/cops wearing badges.

8 Likes

Let’s go back to this key point:

" Polk County, Iowa—Des Moines—is 4.84% black and 88.34% white. But a community group there claims that of one police officer’s 282 traffic stops and bookings, 100% of the drivers were black and 0 percent white ."

If you follow almost anybody long enough you will see them commit a traffic violation. Without racist selective enforcement it would be impossible to not pull over many more white people for committing traffic violations in a community that’s “4.84% black and 88.34% white”. So traffic violations shown a body video do not give the officer any legitimate cover given the racial stats.

7 Likes

I’m sure that “Officer Savage” feels that they were all justified.

4 Likes