Produce Stand Off - A food thread for plant-based eaters

Sad Anthony Anderson GIF

Crying both for the song topic and Sinead…

7 Likes

important edit
Not all varieties are vegan and I didn’t realize that! there is even a version of the Everyday that isn’t vegan.
Thank you @chgoliz

I mentioned this in the other food thread. But just in case anyone here doesn’t frequent the omnivores thread:
This is a great vegan kimchi. Very flavorful without being very spicy. It has some spice, just not a lot. which makes using it in dishes for people who had various spice tolerances ideal. The cold kimchi noodles we had last night (which did include an egg so not vegan) could be pleasantly spicy for me and let my spouse load his with gochujang for the spice he prefers. Which is a whole lot more than I can tolerate!
I want to try the gochujang they sell now too.

10 Likes

Yum! Thanks for adding here, too. Made me go check the omnivores’ food thread and catch up on the kimchi convo. :wink:

7 Likes

The particular brand that me and SO love at home has been really hard to find in the Asian grocery stores we frequent, but if we’re lucky we can find it online. I recommend it, spice level is about average but might be slightly on the hot side for someone not accustomed to heat.

Lately we’ve been buying a different brand that’s decent but i don’t know it off the top of my head.

9 Likes

Kimchi is good stuff!

9 Likes

Ack!
important*
Not all varieties are vegan and I didn’t realize that! there is even a version of the Everyday that isn’t vegan.
Thank you @chgoliz

11 Likes

So, not directly food related, but some history on how a plant-based diet does good for more than just your own body/health or the environment:

10 Likes

Strawberry life cycle.
Missing, what all y’all make with these wonderful little fruits.

19 Likes

Peel them apples. :weary:

14 Likes

Strawbs are really beautiful. I might have to try a blossom next year. Maybe… the gems the blossoms produce are kind of precious

9 Likes
10 Likes

As a vegetarian who can barely remember what shrimp even tastes like, I have seen shrimp-like substitutes made with slices of baked acorn squash. I suppose you could use any thin-skinned winter squash with a good carotene-y color.

1. Cut squash in half, scoop out the seeds, place the halves open side down in a baking dish, in ~ 1" of water. Bake at 350°F (time will depend on size of squash) until slightly underdone.
  2. Pull the hot squash out, the liquid likely having already evaporated. Leave the oven on. Slice the squash into shrimp-size pieces and place back in the baking dish, skin side down.
  3. Finish baking, hopefully slightly browning the edges and sides of the slices. Some people spray a wee bit of olive oil on the slices. They will be fragile so tossing in oilve oil is not recommended, unless you pull the baking squash early enough (and underdone enough) to have a harder, denser material to work with.
  4. Cool before putting in tacos etc. Seasoning is encouraged but not necessary esp. if properly (lightly) browned.

I have used these fake shrimps in spring rolls for the hard core shrimp missers.

ETA: this is probably all different if you have an air fryer (I don’t)… you could probably cut the squash into french fries or chips or whatever, and follow the typical directions for making those… ?

11 Likes

14 Likes

Chewing on inspiration today. In North America and other parts of the global north, harvest time is upon us.

Many moons ago, Chrissie Hynde (of The Pretenders etc.) had a vegan restaurant in Akron, Ohio: The VegiTerranean. It closed in 2011. I did not get to go before it closed. However, its menu lives on:

and here:

The recipes. There’s a kinda fiddly-fussy angle to some of the recipes because it’s restaurant food made to impress, but… it may be useful for special occasions cooking.

One chef who as of late has fully captured my attention (I’ve been at this vegetarian thing for 42 years; I’ve gotten pretty picky) is Derek Sarno’s recipes. Again, the cost of some of his ingredients strike me as not ideal for everyday eating, but watching him on Youtube definitely prompts me to change a few of my techniques in the kitchen (like how I wash my leafy greens).

Recipes:

One more, for folks way into all the different flavors of Italy:

Nice vibe. Reminder to keep things simple. Not all about plant-eatin’ but a fair bit inspiration re seasonal eating and praise for all the Italian vegetable gardening traditions.

Hope this helps someone here.
I’m looking forward to getting my fall garden planted, in a place where soil depth and regular rainfall are not just concepts.

ETA: I should have mentioned that the link to Pasta Grammar is to an inside-the-channel search results page for “vegetables” and the results make me drool. Also need to make sure I make farinata

… and am toying with making an outdoor cob oven for purpose. Well that, and wood-fired pizzas. Etc. I’ve seen them and eaten from them and the lure is strong.

ETA2: grammar!

11 Likes

Awesome, thank you!

I’ve long used Isa Chandra Moskowitz’s Vegan with a Vengeance, and I need to branch out more. I’ve also dined (twice!) at her Omaha restaurant, Modern Love. Everything was excellent! Bummer to hear that VegiTerrerean isn’t still open.

8 Likes

Good one, thanks milliefink.

4 Likes

Recently made a faux-lobster roll with hearts of palm. We tossed in oil and roasted instead of sautéing as directed here, but otherwise pretty close.

It won’t fool anyone about being real lobster, but pretty tasty.

10 Likes

The not tasting like lobster makes it more appealing to me

11 Likes

ETA:
see also (if needed):

11 Likes

Beans and lentils (and other legumes) are amazing sources of nutrition, fiber and protein. And can be used in a huge variety of dishes, even sweet ones.

12 Likes