Produce Stand Off - A food thread for plant-based eaters

Yes.
Sigh.
I may have to make my own red bean paste dumplings for Moon Festival this year.

I haven’t found the town close to me that has the critical mass (number) of Chinese/Asian grannies!

In Austin, I’d just head over to MT Supermarket on North Lamar.

9 Likes

C’ville, maybe? Not a terribly large Asian community around here.

4 Likes

I’ll go back to my good ol’ recommendation of Weee. They deliver to most states and cities, prices can often be reasonable if you ignore the shipping, but my overall experience with them is pretty good. I only use them if i know i can’t get something locally, which is not often but i glad to have the option to use them.

6 Likes

There’s an H-Mart in Manassas, if that helps.

8 Likes

No doubt, a bigger town is necessary. After a bit of checking around on the web, an expedition may be in order.

This page here is really tempting:

… especially this place:

https://www.vunoodles.com/

Vegan vietnamese food.
I’m practically wiping the drool off my keyboard.

11 Likes

I’ve been enjoying these when the kid wants my spouse to make burgers. I don’t eat the “best burgers ever” because they are beef.

These have a great flavor and crisp really well in the air fryer. Especially good with some cheddar, mayo, mustard, pickles, onions and tomatoes.
They taste nothing like beef, which is a positive for me. The ones like beyond meat are too similar to beef for me to tolerate.

8 Likes

Arguments about how to cook the perfect…
Beef _________________Infinite
Red Kidney Beans______Zero

7 Likes

I don’t know, we could probably start one :wink:
How do you cook your red kidney beans?

(Bonus arguments if it involves cast iron cookware and/or knife sharpening.)

12 Likes

AFAIK, there are really only a few methods, none of which require swinging knives or cast iron around :crazy_face:

There’s the “soak overnight and boil till tender” method, or the “pressure-cooker from dry” technique. Sure, we could discuss aromatics and/or the inclusion of baking soda/salt, but why would we do that when Serious Eats has us covered?

8 Likes

Me, I mostly open a can. RKB aren’t my favourite but they do get used for veg chile / bean stew and burrito filling.

Right now its all about green beans because I seem to have mountains of them. The only dependable foodstuff my garden will produce. And lacinto kale, the only kale worth eating.

I understand the iron content rises by using cast iron to cook beans, although I don’t know how that happens if the vessel is seasoned properly.

6 Likes

Motivating Native American GIF

4 Likes

Same here, I have always wondered how that’s supposed to happen if the cast iron is seasoned properly. Can the iron migrate through the coating?

2 Likes

I think there’s enough shedding and replacement of the coating that iron is exposed, and you will get iron in your food. I think moreso if you’re cooking acidic foods.

3 Likes

In other words, we eat it. Ick. Basically burnt oil poly-whatevers.

Maybe cultures that get some of their iron this way don’t season their cast iron for soup/stews the same way the internet does for frying.

1 Like