Prominent journalists' accounts being permanently suspended on Twitter. Mastodon's is gone too.

I guess Mastodon isn’t as big a joke to Musk as he recently claimed it was. Now it’s a threat.

The good news is, this has “Streisand Effect” written all over it. A whole bunch of people who had no idea what Mastodon is are now aware.

34 Likes

I think this will have some (minor) negative effect on Mastadon. There have already been plenty of mainstream articles on Mastadon over people switching, I don’t see this moving the awareness needle much over that. This blocking adds a bit of friction.

4 Likes

It’s a pretty costly way to invoke the Streisand effect.

Edit: I see that I owe @gracchus a Coke.

6 Likes

Only the worst people in the world would think that workers have too much power today.

So this makes perfect sense.

Hopefully they are still paying attention when Twitter is taken apart by various regulatory agencies and courts for basically ignoring every law they bump up against

20 Likes

If Elon wanted to block the flight plans of his jet, he could have bought off the folks in the FAA who write the rules about this subject for a lot less than 44Bn, methinks.

17 Likes

Or he could, you know, just not fly everywhere at a moment’s notice. I have a hard time believing that he actually needs to be physically present ANYWHERE, considering all he does is complain about how many companies he’s running simultaneously. It’s not like he’s turning wrenches or installing cupholders.

Maybe he’d have more time to do CEO-level shit if he wasn’t constantly showing up in person?

13 Likes

But if he doesn’t show up in person, he can’t feel important by disrupting employees’ work day. Plus the groveling just isn’t the same using telepresence.

21 Likes

What are the chances that all along these accounts are being suspended by a disgruntled employee who got an A in Streisand 101 knowing they could plausibly deny a la “I only did it to please my master.” :joy:

3 Likes

It’s not a filed flight plan, it’s literally what his plane broadcasts when it’s flying. And like the similar system for oligarch yachts, turning that off would violate all kinds of international safety regulations.

He’s screwed. :smiley:

17 Likes

I dunno, seemed to be effective enough in 2015?
838ab706dbf9aa4f554762c484662d00

(context is a little hazy but this is from Back to the Future Part II)

6 Likes

I’m going to laugh heartily if we somehow discover that this “some stalker followed my child” incident was a fabrication, and that his reaction is an attempt to hide it. Because (gestures) ALL OF THIS seems like the desperate attempt of a preteen to obfuscate a dumb “Guess what happened to ME” story that has now gotten away from him.

16 Likes

That’s standard stuff. Not only do Musk’s fans think that workers have too much power, amazingly they also think that professional managers in the tech industry (including C-level execs) are too “woke” and liberal.

10 Likes

Oh…I know

3 Likes

That sounds like a very likely possibility, he has yet to file a police report, last I heard.

4 Likes

Musk has also blocked any direct links to mastodon instances (mastodon.social and many others). You can’t even add your mastodon username@instance handle anymore to your name or bio.

14 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. I haven’t spent much time studying the various tracking techniques used. I can see why he’d be pissed that he’s not able to buy privacy in a private jet. After all, money can buy anything!

8 Likes

money can buy a lot of things, but it can’t make him notorious and invisible at the same time

maybe someday he’ll decide which one he wants

19 Likes

I think there’s a typo in there - that last word is missing an ‘h’.

I can see his dumb naked arse from here! It’s hanging out and it will get whacked, for sure. (Actually, it seems like it’s getting the bad end of self-flagellation.)

Well I ain’t gonna try and read a behind-a-paywall article in that particular organ apparently talking about a bunch of sociopathic fuckwits’ admiration for another one of their kind. Sorry. :wink:

12 Likes

Maaaybe he could buy an exemption from his plane transmitting position updates, but the side-effect of making it invisible to other planes and a lot of ground systems might be undesirable.

8 Likes

… experienced celebrities and old money people know how to travel under assumed names

I mean, didn’t that Enron guy fake his own death in order to get out of paying fines or some shit

Nobody’s tweeting his location :crazy_face:

10 Likes