Prosecutors try to serve Rudy Giuliani with summons — but he is nowhere to be found

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/15/prosecutors-try-to-serve-rudy-giuliani-with-summons-but-he-is-nowhere-to-be-found.html

11 Likes

They need to stake out the location of Rudy’s greatest triumph.
four-seasons-landscaping-trump-CONTENT-2020-600x315

30 Likes

Evading process servers is, at best, a delay tactic—even if you can keep away from them indefinitely a court can order “constructive service” as a legally binding alternative. Basically public notice such as an ad in an area newspaper, posting a notice on the defendant’s property, using registered mail, or some other method that the court deems appropriate for notifying the defendant.

Of course, delay tactics are probably all that Trump and his cronies really have left.

23 Likes

Check under the Misty Mountains
the lord of the rings GIF

18 Likes

“[T]he next step the prosecutors take won’t be quite as gentle.”

:thinking:

I’m imagining they’ll put out some bait…

film cinema GIF by Fandor

14 Likes

Now I want a buddy comedy about Rudy Giuliani and Mike Lindell on the run from process servers, told through a series of increasingly unhinged videos on Cameo and fringe talkshows.

19 Likes

Would we be very surprised to learn he had fled the country? (perhaps to a putin/Borat non-extradition protectorate?) (“nah I think he just dyed”)

5 Likes

Try the attic at Mar a Lago. He sleeps hanging from the rafters there after a hard day of begging for money from the guests downstairs.

19 Likes

“Rotten Apple and Lumpy Pillow”?

12 Likes

Where could he hide? The Bronx.

6 Likes

Perfect! Man, every time I think about Lindell’s lumpy pillow rant I can’t help but smile.

8 Likes

A couple of hired spelunkers would be involved somewhere near the end.

7 Likes

Maybe he’s dead.

12 Likes

Isn’t it just a matter of attempts/time and then they enter a default judgement due to inability to serve?

5 Likes

Have they checked Roger Stone’s pool house?

Maybe Vlad set him up in an apartment in Moscow?

8 Likes

I didn’t know he was a Tay-K fan.

Rudy Giuliani House Republicans GIF by GIPHY News

14 Likes

Well, if he was nonwhite and nonrich-ish the next step would probably be a no-knock warrant where they kill his dog or something. As it is maybe they will keep trying to call him?

4 Likes

8 Likes

In a civil case a judge can issue a default judgement if the respondent declines to present a defense to the court. In a criminal case (like this one) there’s such a thing as being “convicted in absentia,” but that’s a pretty rare kind of action usually reserved for cases where an accused criminal fled the country or something.

If the court orders him to appear and he evades or ignores all attempts to serve him with notice then the next step is an arrest warrant.

11 Likes