"Protestor" sucker punched at Trump rally—then tackled by cops

This the same guy I saw on news all alone with trump shouting at him to go run back home to mama?

In a democratic republic, the people tend to get the leaders they deserve - sorry, but it’s true.

They estimate that as a percent of eligible voters, turn out was: 2000, 54.2%; in 2004 60.4%; 2008 62.3%; and 2012 57.5%. These were the same figures as given by the Center for the Study of the American Electorate.

Also, what sort of democracy do we think we’ll get if/when we elect a tyrant to the highest office & when you elect a CEO to the highest office, how else can s/he view the country that s/he is now CEO of? What previous experience would s/he have to draw upon otherwise? Zero democratic experience in other words…

2 Likes

ok, more aggressive drugs than LSD might be necessary.

Clinton is an expert politician, but nobody would use the adjective “genuine” to describe her. That and the fact that Trump has no hesitation to air out the skeletons in political closets mean he will reduce her already limited appeal to the progressive half of America.

2 Likes

WRAL (local radio station) is reporting that the sucker punch guy has been charged. http://www.wral.com/man-charged-with-assaulting-protesters-during-trump-rally-in-fayetteville/15513151/ The cops are claiming the sucker punch happened when they weren’t looking, but they then charged the guy when video surfaced.

Further, they quote the sheriff: "“No one should be subjected to such a cowardly, unprovoked act as that
committed by McGraw. Regardless of political affiliation, speech, race,
national origin, color, gender, bad reputation, prior acts, or political
demonstration, no other citizen has the right to assault another person
or to act in such a way as this defendant did,” said Sheriff Earl
“Moose” Butler.

I’m a bit dubious about the ‘we never saw it’ part, and suspicious that if video hadn’t gone viral nothing would have happened, but the quote from the sheriff is at least the right response.

12 Likes

I agree, it’s a scary prospect. Not that I’m excited at all about Mrs. Clinton being back in the White House, but yeah, The Donald would have a much tougher time going after Bernie’s authenticity. I suppose he would smear him with red, literally calling him a “commie” and such. I imagine he’d go after Bernie’s age in some obnoxious ways too, even though Trump’s not much younger. Then there’s the Jewish thing. OTOH, Bernie would have plenty of personalized ammo to fire at Trump too.

6 Likes

I called the Sheriff’s office and had them send me the press release that was referred to in the article.

Here it is if anyone’s interested.

12 Likes

I give it a 50/50 chance of being true. Although to paraphrase Shakespeare, perhaps the sheriff’s press release doth protest too much:

5 Likes

"No one should be subjected to such a cowardly, unprovoked act as that committed by McGraw. Regardless of political affiliation, speech, race, national origin, color, gender, bad reputation, prior acts, or political demonstration, no other citizen has the right to assault another person or to act in such a way as this defendant did,” said Sheriff Earl “Moose” Butler.

I’m not typically one to quote the police, but this seems like a pretty right on statement.

However, what’s not so agreeable is that only one of the two people that assaulted the protestor is facing any charges. One guy punches him…and then a guy tackles him. The first is facing assault, but not the second, apparently. That’s a massive fucking problem, and a great example of why people resent “law enforcement officers” so much.

Quote from

2 Likes

I love that. I refer to them as Juggalo Republicans. I’m now going to refer to the thugs as clownshirts.

2 Likes

I believe the common wisdom (or at least what pundits are saying) is that for Trump to bully her too much will work against him with those who aren’t solidly in his camp. He can belittle her and say all kinds of sexist stuff, and it won’t matter to his supporters (including his female supporters), but it will turn off lots of other voters. Not all conservative women are Ann Coulter.

5 Likes

One of them is Hillary Clinton.

11 Likes

Speaking of whom, have you heard the rumor?

4 Likes

The article says he was charged. 10 seconds of reading. Anyway, why would you want to recruit one mob to fight another one? Isn’t the whole point of this that the police should be doing this job?

Hey, that’s great, TWO annoying assholes on one ticket. That’s sure to play well with independents/undecideds/moderates. This reminds me of the “Palin/Jindal 2012” stickers that circulated for a while, and the idea that McCain lost because he wasn’t “conservative enough” (as if millions of conservatives stayed home for “the most important election of our time” so the Communist Muslim from Kenya would win.)

5 Likes

Exactly. She would never vote for Trump.

In other, wider angle video you can see two officers following the victim and four officers at the top of the stairs. One officer at the top of the stairs even raises his arm as the punch is thrown as if to catch the victim as he falls. At least six officers were in close proximity to the victim…I don’t believe that NONE of them saw the punch.

7 Likes

It would be fun to take a group of black martial artists to a Trump rally. Unless they all got shot, that is.

I did read the article. The information about the arrest is an update to the original article I read. He was arrested this afternoon - had not been arrested when I read the original article.

I should have written “Maybe via the social media the assaulter can be identified and found.” That’s what ended up happening.

Bernie has a partition occupies a position of strength that Clinton lacks.

She debates well, but she won’t win the crowd.

1 Like