Protestors dump piles of manure at the White House, crying BS to Biden's climate plan

Only to people with no skin in the game.

12 Likes

Eh, if I saw that sign out of context I’d just assume it was a QAnon or antivax protest. Or maybe Larouchites or Gongers.

7 Likes

*shrugs

4 Likes

14 Likes

The guy has been President 100 days. He’s spent 99 of those days solving the massive death cycle the last guy put in place, trying to remove stupidly bad policies, get his cabinet installed (still not done!) since he wasn’t allowed a transition, and has managed to make US move from the biggest COVID spreader to the biggest vaccinator. Oh, and got billions of dollars sent out to normal people, the bottom 85% earners in the country, sent 2 days after the bill was signed.

I’ll give him a little time to come up with a fully fledged climate plan.

27 Likes

Then talk about inaction and lack of ambition. Avoid anything which could be construed as suggesting that Joe Biden is an evil overlord who is plotting to kill millions of Americans.

7 Likes

I hope someone turns that shit into some workable community gardens at least.

10 Likes

Good thing most of real life isn’t without context, then.

Can we not talk about US foreign policy, either?

5 Likes

Yes, keep the pressure on, but don’t complain because once Biden was elected, he didn’t ask the Politics Fairy to come in and enact all the good climate change policies immediately. It doesn’t work like that.

15 Likes

Especially since he has Congress by the smallest of possible margins, and even that isn’t enough since Democrats are such a big tent operation that it’s a bit like herding cats.

Most people have gotten more financial and medical help from Biden’s presidency than the last 4 of other guy.

9 Likes

The entire Extinction Rebellion movement is only three years old, and the DC chapter is pretty new. Like brand new. Give them time, they’re building. Unfortunately the environmental movement in the United States seemed to have faded as more Democrats took up the cause, which is a shame because as I said, we need radical leftists to shift the Overton window back.

6 Likes

I agree with your point, but that’s exactly what today’s announcement and summit is about. Again, I’m all for keeping the pressure on, it’s how we got this stellar crew of activists in his cabinet and agencies in the first place. It’s worth it for everyone to really dive into the details as it becomes very clear that this push is the first that directly ties climate change to social and economic justice issues. It’s profoundly progressive and they’ve signaled that they are willing to do things with or without Congress’s help. And there is a lot they can do.

It’s also deeply tied to his infrastructure plan which is so well written that the country’s largest coal union has endorsed it (paging Sen Manchin).

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/20/business/coal-union-biden-infrastructure/index.html

9 Likes

If the Biden administration was really clever their response would be to say “thank you” and to use this manure to help fertilize the Michelle Obama White House Vegetable Garden.

15 Likes

Yeah, being in constant crisis panic mode will do that. Meanwhile, progressives kept the momentum up and cracked the Democratic platform wide open. I honestly believe that Bernie is largely responsible for planting the seeds for this five years ago. The progressive coalition came into their DNC power sharing coalition with specific goals while the party stalwarts wrung their hands and continued infighting.

3 Likes

Pink, it’s a thing with ER…

6 Likes

The perfect is the enemy of the good. I hope we have the political support–and can maintain it–to implement Biden’s good plan.

8 Likes

Perhaps this is all a trick by ER to make Biden’s plan seem non-radical so more Republicans vote for it.

In any case, I find myself on the fence. I am mostly in favor of realpolitik and not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. I think this is excellent, and Biden has, in general, been more progressive than most would have expected.

On the other hand, as someone who really believes that climate change is an existential threat, I’d also be in favor of, shall we say, direct action against oil platforms in the North Sea.

To the FBI, I mean dropping leaflets from an airplane, naturally.

3 Likes

Do they really have to “destroy” property? That’s the only part I don’t get. I’m sure it feels good to stick it to the man, but broken bank windows and piles of poo only inconvenience some working class individual that has to clean it up. I doubt the efficacy of this sort of thing. Rallying thousands of nonviolent protesters would probably enough.

Making politicians our friends and allies would probably be more productive. So why not start by making headlines with some sort of summit? I mean if this led to that sort of thing great, but a meeting of the minds would probably better serve the movement.

2 Likes

Act-up threw ashes onto the White House lawn, in addition to many other provocative acts of vandalism. It very likely saved lives. The Civil Rights movement sat in at restaurants. It changed policies.

Asking nicely from the powerful never got anyone shit.

9 Likes

Real talk; that kind of action is exactly what Maxine Waters meant when she talked about getting “more confrontational.”

8 Likes