Proud Boys leader a "prolific" police informant

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/27/proud-boys-leader-a-prolific-police-informant.html

6 Likes

Reposting this video in this thread because boy, isn’t it quite relevant

All it takes for a bird to convince a bunch of cats that said bird is a cat is to use the same words, jargon and bullshit they use.

16 Likes

26 Likes

Rough translation from Parrot Patois, “Two legs are better than four!”

8 Likes

Cops and Klan/proud boys/etc go hand-In-hand…

10 Likes

I’m no expert - but doesn’t one need to be actively involved with illegal activities to be an informant? Don’t you need some proximity?
If so - makes one wonder what this guy gets up to in his spare time -away from the moron conventions they call rallies.
edit: Maybe Donnie Brasco isn’t the best guide to this kind of thing.

3 Likes

You know who else was a fascist police informant…

12 Likes

For a group of people who claimed they were willing to die for their president, they sure seem to be lacking in revolutionary spirit. Maybe they meant die in prison with…?

10 Likes

Woah. So basically the FBI decided to throw this guy under the bus, eh? In old mob-movie parlance, “his life aint worth a plugged nickel” any more.

9 Likes

His remittance into the Proud Bois cult will be a bit bumpy, to say the least.

10 Likes

While it is hilarious that the figurehead minority guy they put “in charge” was also selling them out, this also just goes to show why you can’t trust the cops at pretty much any level any more. They let this miserable fuck continue to be terrible for years because he told them what they wanted to hear.

9 Likes

He’s going to need a lot more cereal names!

5 Likes

I wonder if he was selective in who he ratted-out? When you can use the police as your enforcers against rivals, rising to the top is easier.

10 Likes

[Whitey Bulger has entered the chat]

10 Likes

If nothing else, he’s a “Proud Boy,” i.e. a member of a violent gang.

I wonder. Even just a few months ago, this probably wouldn’t have been an issue for the PBs - heck, they might even have already known - because they saw themselves as on the “right side” of the law. I mean, they had to be, right? No one was prosecuting them for anything! Now… not so much.

6 Likes

There is absolutely nothing startling about that. That is standard procedure for the police in pretty much any jurisdiction I can think of.

I suppose the only startling element is that he apparently wasn’t still an active informant.

That is the traditional way to go. Often the informant can even get the police to actively remove rivals and ensure the success of their own activities. “to protect the source”.

Mind you, cops tend to be less bonkers about it than spooks. At points during the Troubles it was apparently hard to find members of paramilitary groups who weren’t on the books of some element of the security services or other.

And there was a pretty major scandal a few years back in Germany when it turned out that vast swathes of neo-nazi groups there were so full of “informants” that the groups were essentially being funded by the security services who were supposed to be combatting them.

4 Likes

I seem to recall that snitches get stitches.

3 Likes

Seems kind of obligatory:

3 Likes

Not in the libertarian utopia. Snitches get scars and infections there, unless they can pay market value for stitches.

2 Likes

Eh, these days it’s mostly surgical glue, but that doesn’t rhyme as well.

3 Likes