Pruitt tried to illegally get a Chick-fil-A restaurant for his wife because "it is a franchise of faith"

Yeah, leprosy that you get on the walls of your house. :roll_eyes: Leaving all God-bothering, purity metaphors, and priests making themselves necessary out of it: it’s probable that over thousands of years prior practical instructions for close-quarters desert living got well-mixed with a lot of other stuff. It’s the equivalent of finding a scrap of the label from a box of OxiClean next to a few pages from The Secret five thousand years from now and concluding that 21st-century Americans believed that adding OxiClean to the washer BEFORE adding laundry was required to manifest prosperity.

Not that you can blame the King’s scholars - using one word (tzaraath) for disfiguring conditions of the skin, beard, hair and clothing or stones in the walls of homes doesn’t lend itself to easy translation.

5 Likes

And in the meanwhile, the irreparable damage being done to the environment grows exponentially.

Nah, son.

Gots%202%20GO

12 Likes

I think he was trying to say something like “I know there are folks objecting to corruption but we’ve had a revolution so it’s OK now. Anyway Chick-fil-A is a Christian business so if I’m not allowed to bag a franchise for my wife I damn well should be.”

1 Like

I don’t think anyone will be able to explain much of anything about how the Trump administration people are thinking to my satisfaction. I’m not sure I want to really understand what’s going through their heads, though.

For probably the same reason - the utter alienness of it drives you insane.

Yeah, absolutely. I was thinking more that these are things that they should - and could - go to jail for (because they’re blatant violations of the law), yet the benefit to them is so small that rationally it’s not worth it for them to take that kind of risk. Obviously they’re not even making that calculation because they simply don’t expect to have to pay any sort of price for their crimes (because so many of them, like Pruitt, have gotten away with this shit for years).

4 Likes

I think I do need something supernatural to deal with what hapoened in our bathroom after a 5th floor leak flooded us and out towel rack fell off the wall. Trypophobia warning:

4 Likes

Sure. Fine by me. I’m sure the next guy Trump nominates will be much better for the environment. Or maybe he’ll just be smarter and not so obvious about it. It’s not that I feel strongly about it, but at least with Pruitt, we know he’s an idiot.

It’s shitty opportunists, all the way down.

That doesn’t mean it’s ‘okay’ to let the current shitpile just fester, though.

11 Likes

looking through bible gateway for clarity:

RSV says:

34 “When you come into the land of Canaan, which I give you for a possession, and I put a leprous disease in a house in the land of your possession, 35 then he who owns the house shall come and tell the priest, ‘There seems to me to be some sort of disease in my house.’ 36 Then the priest shall command that they empty the house before the priest goes to examine the disease, lest all that is in the house be declared unclean; and afterward the priest shall go in to see the house. 37 And he shall examine the disease; and if the disease is in the walls of the house with greenish or reddish spots, and if it appears to be deeper than the surface, 38 then the priest shall go out of the house to the door of the house, and shut up the house seven days. 39 And the priest shall come again on the seventh day, and look; and if the disease has spread in the walls of the house, 40 then the priest shall command that they take out the stones in which is the disease and throw them into an unclean place outside the city; 41 and he shall cause the inside of the house to be scraped round about, and the plaster that they scrape off they shall pour into an unclean place outside the city; 42 then they shall take other stones and put them in the place of those stones, and he shall take other plaster and plaster the house.

one more vote for leprosy.

let’s see what the Jews have to say. After all, it’s their book…
OJB says

34 When ye be come into Eretz Kena’an, which I give to you for a possession, and I put the nega tzara’at in a bais of the eretz of your possession;
35 And he that owneth the bais shall come and tell the kohen, saying, It seemeth to me there is as it were a nega (plague) in the bais;
36 Then the kohen shall command that they empty the bais, before the kohen go into it to examine the nega, that all that is in the bais be not made tamei; and afterward the kohen shall go in to examine the bais,
37 And he shall examine the nega, and, hinei, if the nega be in the walls of the bais with depressions, greenish or reddish, which in appearance are deeper than the surface of the wall,
38 Then the kohen shall go out of the bais to the entrance of the bais, and quarantine the bais seven days;
39 And the kohen shall come again the yom hashevi’i, and shall inspect; and, hinei, if the nega be spread in the walls of the bais,
40 Then the kohen shall command that they tear down the stones in which the nega is, and they shall throw them into a makom tamei outside the town;
41 And he shall cause the bais to be scraped within around, and they shall pour out the afar (dust) that they scrape off outside the town into a makom tamei;

Hmm. That’s edifying.

4 Likes

Really? Go watch a movie if you want to be entertaining. “Entertaining” is dangerous in the context of the current political climate. It’s not “entertaining” if you live in a place where hurricanes are a serious issue or a whole host of other climate change issues.

11 Likes

that actually tends to be part of the plan. get stuff into court, litigate for as long as possible, then settle by agreeing that the agency will pay as much possible.

when george bush was governor of texas he did this with the state’s environmental agency. forced them to cancel a contract for building car emission testing facilities then settled when they got sued by the contractors.

poof. no auto new emissions testing and the agency had a huge debt on it’s books that it had to cover before doing any new spending.

that man was a genius at pretending to be clueless. pruitt’s no different.

5 Likes

Whatever it is it sounds more like a Lovecraftian manifestation than a common household mold anyway.

6 Likes

More like a bronze-age letter to the editor

“I HATE THE KIDS THESE DAYS WEARING MIXED FIBERS, AND PLANTING ADJACENT FIELDS WITH DIFFERENT CROPS. They’ll surely burn in hell for mouthing off to their elders! We should kill them all and let god claim his own.”

3 Likes

Compare and contrast:

9 Likes

He’s preserving Trump’s holy juices. Think of your kitchen sponge. It doesn’t have to hold Trump’s actual excrescence. Simply being in The Temple of Trump is enough to impart mystical power to a man of “faith.”

As for the ChikFilA thing, I mean, really, WWJE? (What Would Jesus Eat?)

3 Likes

And that explains why he is so BAD at this. Most politicians manage to be at least a little subtle. He is so awful that I assumed that he was a former bankster like Mnuchen.

4 Likes

Yeah, but that was a given. At this point we’re lucky that the EPA isn’t mandating that all vehicles “roll coal,” because, jobs or something.

4 Likes

I’d rather not have incompetent grifters actively working to destroy the environmental agency or the environment itself. But I guess you enjoy it?

6 Likes

As opposed to competent corporate tools actively working to destroy the environmental agency and the environment itself? At this point it seems that the nation is so polarized that with a Republican in the WH, those are the only two choices. Fortunately the current head of the executive is an incompetent grifter FIRST, and a Republican something like third. And his appointments are about sycrophancy rather than ability to either run their agencies or run them into the ground.

If your argument is that we should lay off Pruitt because Trump might accidentally appoint someone more competent at environment-destroying than a lawyer who repeatedly sued the EPA before being put in charge of it, and is essentially ruining the department through neglect, I’d rather take my chances.

3 Likes

Oh, I don’t think that we should lay off of him. But I do think that his cartoonish level of stupid grift exposes the incompetence of this administration and makes a second term less likely.

edited to add: Trump will, of course pardon everybody even if they are indicted, so I am picturing him like Oparah Winfrey: “And YOU get a pardon, and YOU get a pardon, EVERYBODY gets a pardon.”

2 Likes