'Put aside the protests,' NYC mayor tells (orders?) citizens after unafilliated wacko kills 2 cops

baiter alert.

Adversary? so any interaction you or I may have with police authority is couched in terms of combat? We are not the enemy! As citizens, our enemy is the threat of violence by state sponsored vigilantes aka Cops. You have it twisted.

1 Like

THIS!

I get the whole union thing, and in nearly all cases, I am pro-union, however, I have also been on the management end of bad-acting union members, and the fact that a union will back a member no matter how out of line they are, that is the problem IMHO. Are there no standards?

It’s one for a union to claim “We’ve got your back”, it’s completely another when “no matter what you do” is appended.

12 Likes

You think the media tells the truth? Double check your propaganda before buying into the state sponsored lies. Of course, vilifying honest citizens’ rights to demand justice is a good way to excuse more opression

1 Like

@kpkpkp already addressed this for me. There’s a big difference between “right to counsel” and belligerence.

Replace “policy” with “practice” and the officers drawing this conclusion would be entirely correct.

Which is, again, why the issue is a deeper rot than an individual officer’s abhorrent dehumanization of others.

1 Like

I’m glad I wasn’t taken as offensive, I’m just trying to open a dialog, which is rare for me, because I get a kick out of arguing. I honestly would like to know about procedure etc, and take a look and see what ways there might be to improve the relationship between the police and the public.

I commend your department for the efforts you’ve stated so far. I know you probably can’t talk about the specifics of your department particularly, since you’re not acting as an official representative here. But I think your input would be valuable for everyone to hear.

I used to not be afraid of police. In high school, I had friends who were going through the county sheriff’s pre-academy, and I knew a bunch of my town’s officers personally, because they worked in my school at times as resource officers. We could go to them if we were having problems socially in a non-criminal sense. We could ask them to help settle disputes, and enforce IOUs and such, which the school administration would have just punished us for, but the resource officers would handle these things discretely, didn’t bother to run criminal investigations in our school all the time, and seemed to treat us like adults and autonomous individuals rather than the administration, who treated us like detainees. They wouldn’t go around the school sticking their nose into our business, even though they had a right to do so, and we appreciated that they simply made themselves available as an alternate authority in the school we could go to when the administration either wouldn’t help, or would backwardly punish us if we went to it.

Today I find myself fearful of police because I don’t know them, they’re strangers with guns, and what seems like immunity from prosecution, which isn’t necessarily true, but hard for departments to show otherwise. Which is why I think it’s so important to try and open up as many lines of communication as possible.

6 Likes

Why am I reading this as “Some armed white policemen got killed, so that evens out all those unarmed black deaths at the hands of white cops, right?”

Or is it more of the cops and politicians trying to use these tragic murders to deflect attention from, and stop discussion about, the other tragic murders?

and which of these two attitudes is worse?

1 Like

The second one, that’s what’s happening here. Also the second one. Because once the topic has been changed a single time in the national discourse, it’s easy to keep mutating it into something like gun control or department militarization. Y’know, things that are topical dead ends for all intents and purposes.

3 Likes

I assumed danegeld was aiming for “modest proposal.” At least I hope so.

But I will say that our society doesn’t trust schools to make that determination for even minor infractions (see zero tolerance policies), even though they were historically capable of such. Police need to be shown a lot less discretion than they are today, and there is no entity in the current system capable of achieving that.

3 Likes

More. Civilian. Oversight.

12 Likes

They’re not at work. They don’t work for me.

When civillians get killed it’s just a Tuesday, but when a cop dies its suddenly time to STFU and have society respond?

Ain’t nobody got time for that some pigs are more equal than others bullllll shit.

11 Likes

It seems like no matter the event, no matter the circumstances, “now is not the time” to address it.

The fact is: now is the only time we have, so we’d best put it to good use while we can. Sheesh.

3 Likes

I’m thinking special prosecutor for cases involving officers. Prosecutors rely on cops to get convictions. They have no incentive to aggressively pursue cases against the police in anything but the absolute, 100th percentile most egregious circumstances.

2 Likes

Saw this in slate

DĂ©jĂ  Blue: New York City’s largest police union thinks it’s under attack by de Blasio. It’s felt that way about every mayor.

7 Likes

Jeebus flippin’ christ, these people are sounding just like Prosecutor/Wilson Defense Lawyer McCulloch.
Don’t these guys get tired of blaming everything else except the people who actually murder?!

Try this: When police officers are murderers, that tears the very fabric of society.

This just pisses me off. I’ve been watching the protests since August, and even though officer-involved murders have happened in other places besides St.Louis/Ferguson since then, the politician/LEO line is always the same.
I actually had some kind of hope with DeBlasio when he criticized the GJ decision over Eric Garner’s murder. But NOPE!
Watching the NYPD literally turn their backs on the Mayor when he went to the hospital made me sick; they showed exactly who they’re there to serve and protect, and it isn’t the citizens or civil rights.
Just a Blue Mafia, right in plain sight.

These Tweets are so tone-deaf they may as well have come from the St. Louis County account. “Time to think about these families
put them first”. Umm. Yeah. Where was that sentiment when other citizens were being executed on the street?

The other thing that makes me ill, is that Garner’s daughter, Mike Browns parents, protesters, etc, all released statements or visited memorials to condemn the killings of the officers. Which is great of them to do
but we live in a culture where they are socially forced to so that they won’t be accused of instigating the officers’ murders. Which is happening anyway.
And how many LEO came out publicly to visit memorials and decry police brutality?

UGH!

4 Likes

By whom? The judges, juries, and prosecutors have abdicated responsibility. The elected officials of either party have no desire to take on the unions. The protests are ignored or subject to police action. The media are highly partisan and don’t bother to do much.

Also, police are civilians. The militarization of their attitudes and methods is a main source of the problem here. I know you know that, but it has to be said.

3 Likes

I’m not anti-semantic for the record, but the term “civilian” to refer to non-police is not one I feel is somehow charged. I understand the power of words, I’ve read my Foucault (“Discipline and Punish” is always topical). “Civilian Oversight” is a term often used by those who want to reign in police, and predates tge militarization of police debate. I would suggest more civilian oversight of police use of force, I would guess most major cities have it in the form of a civilian investigating body, but I bet most small ones (like maybe a small municipality in MO) don’t.

3 Likes

How about quarter-pay on leave for six months regardless if the circumstances? Economic incentives work and are sorely lacking as ideas from the hardheaded “realists” who shrug at harassment, assault, rape, and murder commited by cops but shit themselves when considering administrative time outs for the people who are always heroes even when they lie about the occasional fatal oopsie.

3 Likes

I’m not normally one to say “Fuck the Police”, but
definitely Fuck These Police: http://pix11.com/2014/12/20/video-nypd-officers-turn-away-from-mayor-de-blasio-as-he-enters-police-presser/

1 Like