Putin releases horrifying video of his new Russian nuke going straight toward Florida

The Science Magazine podcast did a segment summarizing the current state of missile defense a couple years ago I think. The overall summary seemed to be: Not completely ineffective, but also not reliable enough to prevent a significant number of nukes from getting through. Also super-expensive to do real-world testing on.

2 Likes

Came here for that gif. Leaving satisfied. :slight_smile:

Let’s see them deal with our missile-defense-defeating missile defense: a moving target

3 Likes

point is; when you talk about “nuclear-powered-missile” with “unlimited range”, only thing that works as proposed…would be a version of “project Pluto”,

a nuclear scramjet with an reactor as directly propulsion, open to the atmosphere with a deadly trail of fission elements behind it. the reactor must be open to work as intendet. its simply a doomsday-device. no joke, it could circling for weeks over a “target” after its delivering of the “payload”, contaminating a huge area with highly radioactive isotopes from the scramjet.

this is onehundred on the insanity-scala of 10.

13 Likes

Great, a MIRV warhead. I thought those were supposed to be decommissioned in the nuclear disarmament treaty.

1 Like

The North Koreans are more explicit about the “destroy planet” part.

1 Like

its not about the MIRVs, its about the system which carries them. and that system - a nuclear scramjet - is just nuts. sure, nuclear weapons itself are nuts, but a nuclear scramjet is…well, its the true endpoint of insanity in nuclear weapons, cause its basicly a fucking doomsday-device.

6 Likes

With luck, the missile will re-lock onto the wrong St. Petersburg.

8 Likes

Putin is just putting on a stance since he knows his geography and history well. Western Russia is basically plains with only one saving grace: mud season. Outside of that, Western Russia is easily encircled. You don’t even need to go into Moscow, just cut off the south (breadbasket) and block the rail networks then it would be just a long term siege to starve out the population. Nukes are the only ace in the hole for them since beating Russia won’t matter to you if your home is burnt to ashes.

3 Likes

“Right here, right now, there is no other place I’d rather be. . . watching the world wake up from history.” --Jesus Jones

1 Like

Look, in case the pee-tape ever gets released ‘accidentally’, don’t go off half-cocked. We’ve got our missiles aimed directly at your ass.

1 Like

I was hoping we wouldn’t have to dust off our Counter-Video again. Clearly, Putin has no idea who he’s dealing with.

5 Likes

I think you’re forgetting the implied “relative to all the places for us to threaten to blow up”.

Many ICBMs have always had such ‘unlimited’ range, Theirs, theirs, theirs, theirs, theirs, theirs, theirs, theirs and ours. But not them or that guy. They’re not here yet.

I can’t really fault anyone for not examining the implications of this. It’s pretty horrifying.

Fascinating attempt to distract from his pal’s troubles though. Look at those gaspromlights flicker!

1 Like

Oh, god! Now I guess there’s going to be a mineshaft gap!

4 Likes

Maybe it’s actually a nuke-u-ler missile? Different tech and all…

7 Likes
  1. For consumption of and influence over Russian electorate due to Kremlin fear of voter boycotts.

2. To help Trump-puppet stay in office by providing scare-fiction for GOP and sheeples to latch onto and support their (needed in these dangerous times) WH strongman and slavish flunkies.

3. Because Putin is an asshole.

2 Likes

That’s the Bush-league pronunciation.

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

sorry mate, a nuclear ramjet is not “scare-fiction”; the US actually built a working cruise-missile in 1964 in full-scale with a 500 MW reactor as propulsion. would have flown with mach 3 and was explicity designed to be completly non-interceptable. with the technology today, this would be almost a non-brainer for the US, russia or china. if this weapon exist as stated by putin, then he is right about “unstoppable” by any defense-system. and yes, you are partly right; scares the shit outta me!

3 Likes

I think you and I differ on what (in the case of Putin and current events) is encompassed by ‘scare-fiction’. I’m talking about Putin’s claimed threat for use of such weapons.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

First time I’ve seen that GIF used in a non-disparaging-Florida way.

3 Likes