Qanon Shaman wants his fuzzy hat back

Is that a real shaman headdress or is it a Sears shaman headdress?

3 Likes

I’d prefer “destroyed” (though I concede the law may not have clear provisions for doing so). We have plenty of documentation of what happened that day, and putting it in the Smithsonian would only further elevate this man’s status as a martyr of the far right.

You shouldn’t get a permanent display at the Smithsonian simply by being a violent jackass.

8 Likes

If it’s evidence in an ongoing investigation/criminal proceeding, they should be able to keep it until all trials regarding Jan 6 complete. It’s happened all too often that evidence was released too early that was needed in later prosecutions.

Moreover, Chaney may not be done with his own prosecutions for Jan 6. He might still face charges for insurrection if the prosecutors find that he was involved in planning, funding, or executing the days events. Given that they are still discovering the identities of some of the insurrectionists, that’s not unreasonable.

Add to it that his stated reason for getting it back is to profit from his crimes, why should a judge be sympathetic to that?

9 Likes

Ohm shanti, ohm shanti, ohm shanti-ohm
Shanti

I do wish this guy would go make more money as a butcher somewhere.

4 Likes

Los Angeles Anniversary GIF by The Paley Center for Media

Why are we making someone who has no remorse for his crimes, and who likely will double down given the chance, the focus for this problem?

8 Likes

Until now, I have never ever thought of taking a massive dump into someone’s cap, then handing it back to them.

The justice system can start making up for that by assuming that the Shaman can buy into the “Our dog ate it” excuse.

1 Like

That was an object used in the commission of a crime.

It should be confiscated and sold to cover part of the damages caused.

4 Likes

Effectively… it actually does, when POC are sentenced differently from others.

1 Like

You gotta put it somewhere before it goes on display:
Be a real shame if it somehow got misplaced…

3 Likes

i get it, the but the long view would offer a different perspective. in 100 years would people want to have something like that in there? i think they would.

2 Likes

I don’t think the nation is missing out on much just because the Smithsonian doesn’t have a display showcasing the personal effects of, say, attempted Teddy Roosevelt assassin John Flammang Schrank.

2 Likes

It’s really hard to imagine his hat being of that much interest in a century. Right now this man is one person who showed up to a failed coup, which is not going to be so significant after so much time – if it still matters at all, heaven forbid, it’s because it will have been superseded.

Either way, I see no real loss in giving him the treatment they wanted for the arsonist who burnt the Temple of Artemis, whose very name was meant to be forgotten.

1 Like

i guess we’ll have to see. or maybe our descendants will. i don’t think he’s just one man who showed up to a failed coup – he was one of the people who rallied people to it, led them and cheered them on. that stupid hat is highly symbolic of the day. He sat in the Speaker’s chair in that hat after they were forced to flee the chambers. I simply think it will have more historic value as a symbol of the insurrection down the road.

1 Like

If someone held onto the original steins from the Beer Hall Putsch I don’t think those would deserve a place of honor in a historical institution either.

3 Likes

One word: Urinal Cake in Capitol Police HQ main restroom.

(Math is not my strong skill, but I’m guessing that’s more than one word.)

1 Like

“hey, Two-Fry? nice hat.”

(IYK,YK)

2 Likes

I say give him back his hat, but permanently staple it to his head.

1 Like

Exactly. And this is one. It is probably the single most iconic material witness of that day. It absolutely should go to the Smithsonian Museum of American History.

They probably shouldn’t display it for now, so as not to create a shrine, but they should accession it, so it is preserved for the future and can be displayed in decades or centuries hence.

The National Parks Service still owns and displays John Wilkes Booth’s derringer. I’m sure the same arguments against keeping it were made at the time, but now we’re glad it still exists.

6 Likes

Are we though? :thinking:

1 Like