QAPLA': General Star Trek thread... for all your Trekin' needs

2 Likes

The simplest explanation for why Harry Kim never got promoted is because the Voyager was a self-contained crew isolated in deep space and there wouldn’t be any opportunities for upward mobility unless some higher-ranking officer retired or died.

It’s like asking why Gilligan never got promoted.

3 Likes

And yet Tom Paris got a promotion… And let’s not forget that she got him out of prison to be their pilot…

4 Likes

Then a demotion, followed by another promotion, if I’m remembering correctly

4 Likes

Frankly a bit problematic given that Janeway and Paris made a bunch of space salamander babies together… doesn’t Starfleet have guidelines about unilaterally promoting someone you had that kind of relationship with?

3 Likes

Absolutely!

Do you think they ever reported that? :thinking:

3 Likes

Probably buried in the fine print of her official report along with the “Tuvix” incident.

3 Likes

What happens in the Delta Quadrant, stays in the Delta Quadrant!

5 Likes

tumblr_955efc765768d9cbe7e9ebdf36623f3a_3630ec9f_500

5 Likes

That bit made me laugh so much

1 Like

I wonder which would be more awkward; Janeway giving birth to a litter of hyperevolved space salamanders conceived with a subordinate or giving birth to a half-holographic baby?

5 Likes
3 Likes

That did happen with some measure of regularity on the show. Maybe not retirement, but they definitely lost a few crew members over 7 season.

1 Like

True, but few were officers who outranked Harry. I think most were enlisted personnel.

https://home.strw.leidenuniv.nl/~jansen/st/voyager/casualties

Apparently Janeway had an unusually high number of spare crew members on hand just like the shuttles and photon torpedoes.

2 Likes

Even (and especially) if the crew shrunk in size, all the same menial tasks would still need to get done, so promoting people wouldn’t really help anything except for making a top-heavy bureaucracy with an ever-smaller number of workers being commanded by a larger number of officers. Most of the people who died were redshirts (or equivalent) and not the bridge crew.

3 Likes

I liked that they actually addressed this entrenched social inequity in the Battlestar Galactica reboot. It’s one thing to accept that you’re stuck in a lower-status job for the duration of a mission, it’s another thing entirely to realize you might not have any opportunity for advancement for the rest of your life.

At least Harry was a commissioned officer who got to work with the bridge crew. Some other poor bastard probably spent seven years cleaning the space toilets.

4 Likes

There was an exchange on Lower Decks between captain Freeman and her first officer talking about how the menial tasks weren’t working to break the spirit of ensign Mariner:

Ransom: I’ve got her cleaning the [bleep] out of the holodeck’s [bleep] filter!
Freeman: [somewhat shocked] … people really use it for that?
Ransom: Oh yeah. It’s mostly for that.

8 Likes

had to get rid of marquis somehow…

4 Likes

https://screenrant.com/nicolas-cage-star-trek-movie-love-enterprise-hopes/

Listen, Nick, If you get that call, whatever they offer you, your answer has to be clear.

Take It Nicolas Cage GIF by The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

4 Likes

A keeper.

17 Likes