Queen dead at 96

I’m a Brit. The Queen’s been around longer than me and my republican tendencies have wavered up and down. I mean you look at elected heads of state like Bolsanaro, Putin and Trump and it might make you question the democratic principle. Not that Russia is democratic any more. Whatever.

The best argument against the hereditary principle is that it’s basically a kind of slavery of the royal children.

10 Likes

It’s perfectly possible to have a head of state who does not inherit their position and is still only ceremonial, and not part of the executive. In fact that’s how most democracies handle it.

15 Likes

I think the best argument against hereditary rule is that the only way to get rid of a bad monarch is to get rid of their head, but you have a point there too.

16 Likes

Must say i’m dreading the timing here.

This has given the worst and most corrupt government we’ve ever had the most epic cover story possible to hide corrupt activities in that this country has ever known…

RIP the UK.

20 Likes

In the case of that creature, only the good and all that…

Back on topic, I feel just awful for Harry. He didn’t get there in time, did he? :frowning:

7 Likes

When most recently in London, I saw more than a few public signages along this front. It’ll be interesting to see how soon they are more vocal. Judging by this thread alone, it won’t be long.

4 Likes

My profound distaste for monarchy prevents me from caring about the death of a queen, though out of a sense of basic human decency, I wish those grieving her passing well and may they find some relief from sorrow as they remember her and mourn.

19 Likes

10 Likes

RIP to Queen Elizabeth. Long live King Charles!

As for the monarchy, AFAICT none of the current and genuine issues with British democracy are because of it, and abolishing the monarchy would not fix any of them.

9 Likes

Why isn’t anyone asking the really important question? Will we get a Bank Holiday?

28 Likes

Sounds like an excellent time and excuse to get rid of the monarchy, if they have no bearing on the current state of affairs over there.

12 Likes

I don’t get it…

I always saw her as more of a mascot in this day and age. It’s branding for the UK.

Given my interest in stamps, I have had many many examples of her visage on them and some money I have collected over the years.

6 Likes

Not really, no. There are reasons why the shit floats to the top, and it usually has less to do with democracy, and more to do with people attacking democracy in various ways in order to undermine it, and put shitheads in power.

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

Isn’t that the case with the Irish President?

17 Likes

Agreed, though given that the monarchy is a massive economic engine of tourism, I think it unlikely.

7 Likes

Then turn Buckingham Palace into a museum of sorts or whatever, i’m sure people would still want to gawk. Actual royals are not needed to get them tourism bucks

15 Likes

I wonder how many people remember her visit to LA to watch a baseball game

13 Likes

While you are absolutely correct, I think Mary Robinson was more than just ceremonial while she held the reins.

8 Likes

I am trying to pet the corgis with my cursor.

18 Likes

doctor who GIF

I mean… it’s a country with thousands of years of history. Not everyone cares about gawking at a bunch of privileged people… I’m sure some just go to gawk, but probably far less than some think…

21 Likes

France executed their monarchy, tourism is still going strong. People still come to visit Versailles.

31 Likes