Queen of Denmark abdicates after 52 years on throne

Originally published at: Queen of Denmark abdicates after 52 years on throne - Boing Boing

14 Likes

Her son, previously known as Fredrick Twitter, will be crowned as Fredrick X?

31 Likes

No relation to Malcolm

10 Likes

That’s cool. I guess. I’ll be really impressed when some monarchal family just decides to up and end their monarchy completely. Just en masse say “We are done. There is no more monarchy. If it’s in our Constitution, then fix your Constitution. Random genetic luck is no basis for a system of government.”

24 Likes

Hey, at least the next guy is qualified to do fuck all of any use!

8 Likes

21 Likes

Do you mean that she is going to marry an American divorcee? The Danes are generally broadminded about that, they might draw the line at useful idiot of the Nazis though.

Or do you mean that you think Brenda abdicated to the mothership?

2 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Memories of our beloved horror movie hosts :skull::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Queen of Denmark abdicates after 52 years on throne

What nobody made a toilet joke yet?

12 Likes

Understandable. I always liked Margarethe II. She is a very smart, progressive woman. Always filled her role with an understated dignity. Her son has big shoes to fill.

10 Likes

I always hear John Cleese saying “Hurry Up!” over fx of door handle rattling whenever I hear the words “(insert monarch) was on the throne for (x) years”.

ISIRTA - Sherlock Holmes episode.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that would be a newsworthy event, and in pondering the logistics of it, One has to wonder how to do an orderly transition of power and authority.

(IIRC, the British monarchy doesn’t actually have much in the way of actual power anymore, it’s all handled by parliament? I’m pretty sure I’ll get corrected / educated on this. )

1 Like

There would always be some relative that would step up as the next magic hat wearer.

The Line of Succession is defined by The Act of Settlement of 1701 which said the throne would descend to “the most excellent Princess Sophia, and the heirs of her body, being Protestants”. By some calculations that’s about 5,000 people.

And that’s before the vested interests decide that some distant foreigner is eligible to sit on the throne for - reasons.

3 Likes

Margarethe II. Big shoes; small feet.

This is true but in fairness it should be said that the monarchy in Denmark has little or nothing to do with the business of actually governing the country. There isn’t much of a functional difference between the Danish king/queen and, say, the Federal President of Germany except that the office of the latter is term-limited and not hereditary.

4 Likes

Isn’t that where Slartibartfast had a hand in constructing the Earth?

4 Likes

“all the right letters, not necessarily in the right order.”

Props to Morcambe, Wise and Previn.

2 Likes

Ah, the wonderful Mr Preview.

2 Likes

I know a guy from school who is a the Tenth (X) with a name and ethnicity that would lend itself to being a the Tenth. His son, the XI, is of mixed heritage, which is probably not what numbers I through VIII had in mind, although the IX adores all involved.

3 Likes

It’s a little different for monarchs (or popes) b/c the numbers don’t have to be immediately consecutive. So, if there’s another King Charles in the UK six generations from now he’d be Charles IV as long as there were no other Charles in between.

3 Likes