Racist anti-vaxxer Eric Clapton says he won't play in venues that require Covid vaccine

I had no idea Clapton was a racist. No notion whatsoever.

That sucks because I actually think he’s been an amazing musician. Sigh. Fucksakes.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s a rough one.
That wormhole is extra dark. Her husband was a NAMBLA activist??

3 Likes

kinda odd how a faded star’s self-importance increases with every decade that they do nothing of consequence…

5 Likes

Separating the art from the artist is a fine concept and all until you realize that continuing to give them attention and money perpetuates and bankrolls their behavior. This is obviously impossible to do with every single problematic person ever, but depending on the severity of someone’s bullshit i certainly go out of my way to ignore them. Including Tom Cruise, Orson Scott Card, R Kelly, etc.

11 Likes

“One covid enters, many super spreaders leave”

13 Likes

I imagine Eric Clapton won’t play in venues that require a COVID vaccine in part because venue management that would require a COVID vaccine for attendees won’t let Eric Clapton play in their venues.

Y’know, the “You can’t fire me! I quit!” school of umbrage.

6 Likes

4 Likes

He supposedly did get the vaccine, but had bad side effects, which may be part of what started all this.

3 Likes

Ha! Any time I see the ‘shreds’ videos it reminds me of Jazz guitarist Derek Bailey whose whole career has been about playing like that

4 Likes

Can we send them off to hang out with Nugent?

1 Like

“I don’t want you here, in the room or in my country,” Clapton declared. “Listen to me, man! I think we should vote for Enoch Powell. Enoch’s our man. I think Enoch’s right, I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white. I used to be into dope, now I’m into racism. It’s much heavier, man. Fucking wogs, man. Fucking Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs. Britain is becoming overcrowded and Enoch will stop it and send them all back. The black wogs and coons and Arabs and fucking Jamaicans and fucking… don’t belong here, we don’t want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don’t want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man. We are a white country. I don’t want fucking wogs living next to me with their standards. This is Great Britain, a white country. What is happening to us, for fuck’s sake?”

The above is a purported transcript of Clapton’s on-stage racist tirade. Blurred it out (after initial posting, sorry) for people that don’t want to read such naked awful hatred, but I do think it’s worth knowing how bad it is.

How did he sell a single other fucking record after this shit? He blames drugs, but dude, drugs don’t magically make you racist. That shit was in his mind and in his heart and too much dope made him stupid enough to say it into a microphone on stage.

Society’s willingness to continue celebrating people like this makes me fucking sick. I grew up listening to Clapton and never heard about this shit until very recently and it’s fucking outrageous.

16 Likes

Eric Clapton says he won’t play in venues that require Covid vaccine

that’s fair. i won’t attend a venue that’s hosting eric clapton.

16 Likes

Yes and this was a real tough one for the coin-collecting world. There isn’t an unending parade of coin experts like there are musicians, and he wrote a bunch of highly regarded books on numismatics.

article: Confronting Breen

Plus, it evokes in many of us an impulse not to talk about him. Better to leave well enough alone lest it taints the hobby , one might argue. To this day, numismatists–ourselves included–continue to cite Breen’s work in auction catalogs, books, and articles; his sins sequestered from his expertise.
But does this reticence nurture, or possibly inflict, the very harm that some in the hobby worry about?

P.S., he did die in jail :v:

4 Likes

Eric who?

4 Likes

Please don’t tell me that Jack Bruce is an asshole as well.

3 Likes

Yeah, beautiful.

1 Like

Never was the sharpest tool in the shed.

1 Like

Somewhat related -

I was watching an old American Bandstand from 1969 , and Dick was a dick. The live band had 3 guys and a gal, and his only questions were along the lines of “So, does having a girl in the band distract you?” and “Do the boys bother you? How do you shoo them away?” The band did suck balls, but the lines of questions was not cool.

5 Likes

Whew, that really does leave nothing to the imagination. I am mostly critical of boycotting artists for their personal views but this is more than bad enough to justify it in my book. Luckily I never was a Clapton fan and the one single song of his that I like I will never get out of my head anyway.

3 Likes

i will still enjoy old Clapton and Van Morrison work, but there’s no way i’d pay money for any of their work now – not purchasing music, and certainly not seeing them play live. i’m choosing to believe that their recent nuttery is because of some widespread Boomer-spreading mental virus. a pandemic of the mind, generationally fixated, turning them into conspiracy-laden racists.

6 Likes