Racist lady removed from Starbucks

Filthy foreigner…? Thanks for insulting my Korean wife and biracial daughter. I should have known better than to post without saluting a real BBS Lieutenant Commander! You must have posted a lot of smiley emojis to reach such a high rank!

My wife is wondering whether or not the old racist lady ordered a “small” or if she did it in Italian, as most of Starbucks’ menu is.

1 Like

Lady… headphones. They won’t fix the racism, but they’re great for that annoying “human noise” factor.

4 Likes

not that it’s about your ego, just his his his ego. Keep swinging, you’ll connect at some point.

Sigh.

5 Likes

No insult intended, whilst the snark may have been heavy, it was due to your assertion that all Koreans (including, one assumes, your immediate family there) are, somehow, loud and racist. That seems somewhat sweeping. I wouldn’t say that all Americans are MAGA hat-wearing crypto-fascist chuckleheads, f’rinstance, as it demonstrably isn’t true. Possibly that is the point I should previously have made.

6 Likes

“Go Home-itis”? The suffix “itis” would have to mean this is some kind of inflammation. lol!
No, I actually love Korea. The complaints I talk about irk many Koreans too. (My Korean wife for example) The vast majority of good Koreans are reluctant to stand up and say “Knock it off!” to the minority of offensive ones.
Here in Korea, my wife and I usually speak English in a hushed tone. Sometimes when a group of loud English speakers come in, their dialogue is so different it is distracting. The Koreans’ annoyance is palpable.
Bottom line, it’s best to speak more quietly when using a different language in public when abroad, wherever you are.

Yeah I know, my mom’s one of them. But they usually can manage to keep from lashing out at other completely innocent people. It’s a problem, but maybe let’s not raise it when one of them (possibly) is acting like a total asshole. My mother just takes her hearing aids out (the aids she can’t afford to replace and only got because she happens to have started losing her hearing early and half my family was deaf so… hearing aid connections). Listening to a kid squeal through hearing aids is like stabbing an icicle into your ear. See the thing is, this subject should be broached… just maybe not here and now.

2 Likes

Swinging? You mean like him accusing me of racism?

You don’t even have to be on the coasts, either. I hear Myanmar, Persian, Mandarin, and Korean on a regular basis (as well as Spanish, Portuguese) and I live in the freezing middle wastes.

2 Likes

I’ve got four years of hs German, California-osmosis level Spanish, a few phrases of French, Italian, Russian, and Japanese. When I hear any of those languages, I pick up a few words I can then ignore the conversation. But when adjacent to a language where I know zero words, my brain finds it a lot more distracting. As though I’m trying to put it in a box I don’t possess. Korean, Hebrew, Chinese, any Indian language - very hard to ignore if they’re being spoken next to me.

She’s lucky that no one found where she lives and starting blasting kpop in the dead of night to annoy the shit out of her in a attempt for more viral gold :rofl:

But anyways, doesn’t these kind of stories come out every few months? Like that old southern lady throwing a fit at a department store because someone was speaking spanish in line and that old guy who threw a tantrum at a Starbuck barista about Obama/liberals? This feels like a combination of those two stories about angry white geezers

1 Like

No, swinging like presenting false dichotomies and generally behaving implacably.

Maybe you misunderstood, if that is ever possible, please consider it in this instance.

5 Likes

As an American who’s visited numerous foreign countries with at best sketchy knowledge of local languages, the arrogance of this kind of attitude never fails to appall me. People all over the world have gone out of their way to help me muddle through with my English, which is a courtesy I would hope would be open to anyone.

12 Likes

Here in Korea, my wife and I usually speak English in a hushed tone.

How loud are you when you’re both speaking Korean in public?

5 Likes

I’m usually more annoyed by the music they’re playing in a coffee shop than by anyone’s talking.

4 Likes

7 Likes

curb-your-enthusiasm-okay

5 Likes

many additional likes for a Sisko gif.

2 Likes

often their age, especially in proximity to our lawns, exponentially related to the manicuredness of said lawn.

see also; First Stone et al.

1 Like

Wait wait… so because you experience racism in Korea, we here in the U.S. shouldn’t defend a person being attacked because of their race?

By the way, just in case you didn’t know, we here in the U.S. have obnoxiously loud groups of people who will go into a restaurant or coffee shop and make life hell for the other patrons. But in general, we try not to blame their behavior on their race but rather on the individuals.

In general anyway

7 Likes