Racist tries to shame Spanish speakers in market, but another shopper steps in to shame the racist

Now that I think about it, why would someone want to hear more strangers’ conversations? Probably 90+% of all conversations are pointless and stupid.

Did you see that thing on Facebook?
Huh?
Did you see that thing?
What thing?
I don’t remember, but Pete forwarded it to me, and I thought—
Did you say you needed garbage bags?
Yeah.
What size?
I don’t know.
Are those new shoes?
These?
Did you wear those to Dina’s party?
I don’t think so.
Oh.

And it goes on and on like this, all day long. Now multiply this by a billion.

No, thanks.

23 Likes

That’s where you’d be wrong. While the classic dictionary definition #1 of race or racism may not fit this situation perfectly, we also need to recognize that definitions found in the dictionary are only a partial list of the ways words are used and that dictionaries are not now nor have they ever been intended to be used as arbiters of language.
Today, the word racism and racist have come to encompass a spectrum of anti social behavior based on bias and xenophobia towards the other. This is a common usage in today’s society. To call such usage out as being “wrong” is to suggest that society has no part in language which is clearly not the case.

26 Likes

Mother’s advice still the best:

“Mind your own damn business.”

Ironically, Colorado’s name is from Spanish.

14 Likes

Does she speak Navajo? Iroquois? Any native tongue? Then STFU and move on. We are a nation of immigrants. Love it or leave it!

16 Likes

With all of the hateful stuff we’ve been enduring lately I really needed to see somebody doing something good today…Thanks

16 Likes

Kudos to Kamira Trent. We need more Americans like her.

I wonder if the racist lady has an issue only with Spanish; it would be hard to find a county where Spanish is not spoken at all: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_language_in_the_United_States#/media/File:Spanish_in_the_United_States_by_county.gif

According to the 2010 United State Census, 28.3% of the population in Garfield County, CO is Hispanic or Latino. https://factfinder.census.gov/bkmk/cf/1.0/en/county/Garfield%20County,%20Colorado/POPULATION/PEP_EST

That racist lady should avoid the grocery store, become a shut-in and order her food online.

3 Likes

There are stories about English people visiting Wales walking into shops and pubs and seeing all the locals instantly switch from English to Welsh so that the outsiders can’t understand what they are saying.

5 Likes

Ugh…as horrible as these people are, the worst part is how this repulsive racist behavior has been normalized and accepted by a large portion of our country. Makes me weep sometimes.

1o4t

25 Likes

When racism is outlawed, only outlaws…wait…that’s not such a bad thing, is it?

6 Likes
11 Likes

Exactly my first thought. In fact, I decided to just check on how many state names are English derivative. About 10%. The rest are (shocker!!!) about as diverse as this nation is. In fact, the majority are derived from indigenous languages. Not that this ignoramus would be impressed.

ETA: Oh yeah…

15 Likes

You go white girl! Use your secret power, you know the one… ( hint: starts with a 9 ends in a 1 )

1 Like

Nor would she want to.

2 Likes

Nor those of cultural biasism. :wink:

Which is too bad as it might mean she could come back not quite so fucking ignorant!
It should be a part of the American public education system that all kids be exchange students for a year, and every year a different country!

5 Likes

That would actually cost money, though, and we can’t have that! /s

4 Likes

Oh, leave those other countries out of this. They don’t deserve her.
And, sadly, she’d just come back from Paris complaining that the restaurants have terrible public service, refusing to speak to her in English.

But mostly I agree, Americans need to get out more.
I recall hearing somewhere that like only a third of members of congress had passports before getting elected.

6 Likes

There are stories about English people visiting Wales walking into shops and pubs and seeing all the locals instantly switch from English to Welsh so that the outsiders can’t understand what they are saying.

As should be expected when the Welsh have to deal with their conquerors.

6 Likes

This isn’t England, so English is a foreign language here.

4 Likes

The last time I heard that was during a Vietnam war protest, shortly after Kent state. Talk about a trigger word…