Racist trolls moot using "google" as a euphemism for the n-word

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/23/racist-trolls-now-using-goog.html

It’s nice that even awful people can find love on the internet.

34 Likes

This is one of the dumbest work-arounds I have ever heard of.

39 Likes

Check-in noun pickle squirt rhubarb!

You see, if it’s a code made out of random words, anything can be insulting. Or goddamned nonsense that nobody is going to read.

“Hey, let’s be super racist and then use the common words and then people will know I’m actually a giant racist!” Seriously, is this the plan?

35 Likes

Did you hack my Yahoo account? Time to change the password again…

23 Likes

Why do people have to be such assholes?

One of my favorite comedians – Jesse Popp or Mark Normand I think – has a joke where he says his favorite form of racism is antisemitism. “If you hate black people, a guy gets on the bus you can say ‘I hate that guy because he’s black’. You’re an antisemite, a guy gets on the bus and you have think ‘I might hate that guy. I’m not 100% sure though.’”

28 Likes

Seriously.

These bigidiots (bigoted idiots) seem not to realize that the only reason that words like the n word are offensive is because they carry centuries worth of hateful baggage; instantly being connotated with slavery, degradation, oppression and exploitation.

Google is a short form of googol; a math concept which has no historic offense tied to it.

Calling me a google isn’t going to hurt my feelings even one iota; it just identifies the name caller as a complete imbecile.

30 Likes

It’s not only a dumb work-around, it’s been done to death. It’s like how everybody’s racist uncle keeps talking about “Canadians” and “Democrats” and thinks he’s clever because 1) he’s not using the n-word and 2) only other racist assholes are clever enough to know what he’s talking about :confused:

12 Likes

Trust me, they can tell. In deep flyover country, it’s not only rare to see a non-white person, but also a non-Anglo person.

3 Likes

Wow this whole time I thought my uncle really hated Canadians.

20 Likes

That reminds me, have you ever heard that one about calling Black people “Mondays?”

Because ‘everybody’ hates Mondays.

22 Likes

I actually laughed out loud.

Related: when I was a pup, the Gay Student Union of the University of Delaware pulled a great prank several years in a row. With no prior warning, they’d go out at about 5AM on a Monday and hang this titanic banner across the Habitrail* that said IF YOU’RE GAY WEAR JEANS ON MONDAY. The upper classmen would shrug and move along, but it was hilarious to watch the latest crop of naive freshmen see the banner, realize they were wearing jeans, and scramble hysterically back to their dorms to change.

It was funny as hell, and according the head of GSU at the time, it actually worked pretty well as a conversation starter and consciousness raiser.

* the Habitrail is this giant pedestrian tunnel over a busy street in the middle of town, connected to Gore Hall. It used to look like a plexiglass tube, but was eventually restyled into a faux-colonial anachronism.

27 Likes

I got called a “sheeny” once online, and that was so weird it was kinda funny, but if I get called a ‘skype’ I will really be insulted.

18 Likes

This sounds like the makings of a terrible Monty Python skit.

“Hey, let’s make plans later for the anti-Google march.”
“Heil. How should I get in touch?”
“Find me at Google Hangouts.”
“WTF man, you know I don’t go to places Googles hang out.”
“No no, I mean, the actual Google Hangouts. Okay, nevermind, try Google Voice.”
“Uh, what, yawl want me ta talk wit ebonics?”
“Jesus dude, no, I mean… okay, try Joe’s Bar. Get directions from Bing.”
“What, the guy at the Chinese buffet?”

[edit – this ended up sounding more like a Key and Peele skit]

44 Likes

Man: Is, uh,…Is your wife a goer, eh? Know whatahmean, know whatahmean, nudge nudge, know whatahmean, say no more?

Squire: I, uh, I beg your pardon?

Man: Your, uh, your wife, does she go, eh, does she go, eh?

Squire: (flustered) Well, she sometimes ‘goes’, yes.

Man: Aaaaaaaah bet she does, I bet she does, say no more, say no more, know whatahmean, nudge nudge?

Squire: (confused) I’m afraid I don’t quite follow you.

Man: Follow me. Follow me. That’s good, that’s good! A nod’s as good as a wink to a blind bat!

Squire: Are you, uh,…are you selling something?

23 Likes

I am always sort of amazed, though, at the amount of effort white supremacists will put into their, uh, calling. I mean, so many groups to hate, so much work to find new ways to express the hate. It must be exhausting! The constant maintenance of a state of paranoia. Imagine if they could find something more productive to do with that energy.

16 Likes
6 Likes

THIS IS ACTUALLY A THING? I’d heard of the “Canadians” thing, but the pathos exposed by the reasoning:[quote=“Melizmatic, post:11, topic:86065”]
Because ‘everybody’ hates Mondays.
[/quote]almost matches that exposed by the reasoning in this “google” thing.

5 Likes

So, to sum up: in order to get around the Google down ranking of certain culturally and historically offensive words (although I personally take zero offense to being called a liberal, but whatevs…), the plan is to use words that have zero cultural or historic weight as a previous tool of denigrating and oppressing minorities in the vague hope that somehow this will change everything and everyone will know what they mean when they say “google” and “yahoo”, instead of everyone just assuming they are dumb morons who don’t know how to use the words google and yahoo correctly? That’s the plan, right, I didn’t misunderstand it???

Well Google, your work here is done. You’ve made 4chan look like a bunch of grade school kids who think if they rename the meatloaf to cake it’ll somehow taste better. This is like the Wile E Coyote plan of naming schemes.

22 Likes

Can we stop referring to them as the ‘alt-right’ and just ‘racists* fucks 2.0’

*this can of course be substituted with any of the classics such as (in no particular order) sexists, ableist, homophobic, transphobic, anti-semites, islamophobic etc, the list is depressingly long…

16 Likes