Ramaswamy says colleges should require physical fitness test for admission

Originally published at: Ramaswamy says colleges should require physical fitness test for admission | Boing Boing

5 Likes

the College Board should add a physical fitness section to the SAT, instead of just math and reading sections.

To understand what an idiot he is*:

More than 80 percent of U.S. colleges and universities do not require applicants to take standardized tests like the SAT or the ACT. That proportion of institutions with test-optional policies has more than doubled since the spring of 2020.

*Just related to this issue. Showing what an idiot he is on every single other thing that comes out of his mouth requires more storage space than the BoingBoing servers currently have.

23 Likes

The cult of the “perfect” body is always a characteristic of far right ideology, an aspect of Eco’s point 10 of ur-fascism (contempt for the weak). With politicians like Ramaswamy and RFK Jr., the wellness woo always leads to ableism if not Aktion T4.

30 Likes

That should serve to weed out all those unproductive disabled types who are such a drain on America’s resources.

27 Likes

This fucking guy is like a bottomless bad idea dispenser.

39 Likes

We should probably always do the exact opposite of what he says…

26 Likes

i suppose he wants the fitness test to include a genital check. you know, because conservatives are all about freedom and liberty.

21 Likes

“Which is why I am running to be the top of that government.”

17 Likes

Sounds like an excellent way to discriminate against people with disabilities and health issues that want to pursue higher learning

19 Likes

And to weed out intellectual nerds…

15 Likes

If a dude can go around spouting eugenicist bullshit without everyone calling them out on it, it’s bad in America.

Nazis are gonna Nazi, but the rest of us do NOT have to stand around listening to it, FFS

19 Likes

Many of us are not. The problem is the mainstream media treating it like a “both sides” issue rather than him pushing nazi propaganda.

19 Likes

How to say you are a eugenics pushing fascist without saying you are a eugenics pushing fasc… Oh, wait, this Ramaswamy.

14 Likes

It’s not like Universities don’t have a TON of “scholarships” for the physically gifted already.

Good think Steven Hawking didn’t go to Ramaswamy’s version of University.

Wasn’t there some “scandal” about one of the Ivies taking “physical exam” pictures of students back in the day?

The SAT math section IS a valuable tool for my discipline though. The data are quite clear that SAT Math scores correlate with performance in General Chemistry to a “meh” extent, but DO show a distinct “threshold” effect…eg students below a certain SAT M score didn’t get As, students below a different SAT-M score didn’t get a B…the bands were quite distinct. (N=1,500), a few out liers where there was a high SAT, but low class grade, and one with an in the class A but a lower than average SAT-M score.

14 Likes

I just tried to picture TFG running a mile or doing a pull-up and my imagination simply wasn’t up to it.

19 Likes

Can’t risk another Stephen Hawking slipping through the sieve!

ETA: a coke for @douglas_stuart

13 Likes

I don’t want to take away from your point, but it is worth noting that Hawking wasn’t in a wheelchair in his college days:

13 Likes

“it’s a fact that those who perform well on math & reading tests tend to perform more poorly on the 1-mile run, and vice versa.”

[Citation needed.]

9 Likes

Not just the Stephen Hawkings of the world would be left out, I’d say about a one in 5 of my professors at uni had some physical disability of one sort or another, and about 1 in 10 of all students. You don’t need to be able to run a mile, or even have legs, to think and reason and remember, and to apply such physical gatekeeping to what is literally an academic institution whose primary focus is the mind and its improvement. Then again, if I had my way, college professionals playing with their balls would be severed from academia and spun off as independent organizations, as it is clearly the tail that wags the dog and has undue detrimental influence on the functionality of the rest of the institution.

(edit, clarity and (sigh) grammar.)

14 Likes

“I’m not a eugenicist… I just think we should make up some metrics based on arbitrary social values and kill all the people who fall outside of them because it’ll breed better humans!”

12 Likes