Rare Madrid snowfall results in spontaneous snow battle

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/09/rare-madrid-snowfall-results-in-spontaneous-snow-battle.html

8 Likes

Genius flanking maneuver at 00:14 by the thrower in the foreground.

5 Likes

Thousands of snowflakes crushed together and hurled to their doom, the delicate crystalline forms obliterated by the grasping fingers of the combatants.

Formed into weapons against their will, the bodies of their comrades squeezed against them into great orbs, until one could not be distinguished from the next.

The sound of disintegrating orbs striking their targets seemingly at random, mixed with the crunching of thousands more flakes underfoot, and the screams of combat, reached a deafening crescendo.

Just as suddenly as it began, the giants scattered and fled, leaving countless marks of battle upon the snow strewn streets, and all that is left are the snowflakes still falling from the sky, gasping in silent horror at the scene that they are descending into.

20 Likes

Reminded me of this:

11 Likes

A shocking display of mob violence!

7 Likes

That was awesome! Dude at :14 had what must have been a really advanced bike for 1897.

ETA: The “safety bike” as it was called, debuted in 1890, so it was definitely pretty new.

5 Likes

A tad slow, I think. I sped it up to 1.25 playback.

3 Likes

It snows in the city center most years, but for the couple years I lived there, never enough to stick

3 Likes

The rain in Spain
Falls mainly on the plain
So does the snow

2 Likes

They both fall mainly on the mountains, but that spoils the rhyme.

7 Likes

The rain in Spain
Falls mainly on the plain
The snow falls in the fountains
But mainly on the mountains.

Better?

6 Likes

Brilliant.

2 Likes

En España no nieva mucho y cuando lo hace, pasan estas cosas. Pero tenemos mucho sol… :wink:

7 Likes

This is what life is all about.

2 Likes

Welcome, friend!

4 Likes

Some were probably grumbling that snow was no substitute for tomatoes.

3 Likes

That’s it. My favorite snowball fight team is now Rare Madrid.

4 Likes

Rare Vallecano snowball club are better, although not more successful.

4 Likes

looked like Madrid was incapacitated by a few inches of snow

1 Like

I like every aspect of winter recreation except snowball fights. I guess it’s better than feces fights, so we’ve really grown as a species.

1 Like